using bottling bucket as primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it twice. Others have done it as well. The only downside is the spigot. You need to make sure it is clean all over, in and out.

Ive used mine as a fermentor... It's ok, not too hard to keep it clean. I just take the spigot out and soak it in some oxyclean, then hit it with sanitizer before use.

The big draw back is not having a bottling bucket when your pipeline is full. I've managed to get myself into a predicament where I have two carboys full (one ready to bottle, one that needs a little longer) and I have a beer fermenting in my bottling bucket. This is a big problem, because my carboy space is all used up and I don't have any way of bottling without transfering my beer to an intermediate container...

Strongly suggest having a designated bottling bucket, unless you are just going to do one brew at a time.

Edit: Also the spigot tends to leak a little bit. It's not really a problem, but when fermentation is going on you might have a few drops of sticky wort to clean up.

Yea I had to sanitize my boil pot, siphon into that, clean the bottling bucket, put beer back in bucket and then bottle. I only use it to ferment if I need to, I don't like to do it because I don't have another bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back