Using both flaked oats and flaked barley in a bourbon stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went by the LHBS to pick up some flaked oats to brew a bourbon stout and after arriving home I noticed I picked up 1 lb of flaked oats and 1 lb of flaked barley instead of 2 lbs of flaked oats. LHBS is now closed so would like to know if it will make much difference using a blend of flaked oats and flaked barley instead of 2 lbs flaked oats.

Thanks,

Mick

Actually, look near the Quaker and there will be oats that won't turn into a gelatinous dough ball when you steep them.

Flaked barley is awesome in a stout! It gives a wonderful rocky head, great foam retention, a perception of body, and it's my 'secret ingredient' in oatmeal stout.

Oats are creamy, and even oily in large amounts, and give a slick mouthfeel. They aren't interchangeable at all- but both are great ingredients in a stout.

It really depends on the rest of the recipe- with the flaked barley for example, you won't need carapils or flaked wheat- but both are probably a good mix.

Went by the LHBS to pick up some flaked oats to brew a bourbon stout and after arriving home I noticed I picked up 1 lb of flaked oats and 1 lb of flaked barley instead of 2 lbs of flaked oats. LHBS is now closed so would like to know if it will make much difference using a blend of flaked oats and flaked barley instead of 2 lbs flaked oats.

Thanks,

Mick

tumblr_inline_n5gmmdx9V11rjf3sr.jpg

Both flaked oats and flake barley are good for adding body and mouthfeel to the beer, so go ahead and use both of them.

Agree with the advice to use the flaked barley. One of my favorite stouts, Yeti by Great Divide, uses both flaked oats and flaked barley.

Back