Using bleach to sanitize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasTexan

Reaction score
Well dang... I was going to start a mead tomorrow but I have noticed that I'm out of sanitizer.

I've never used bleach and was wondering what ratio I should use to clean my equipment?

Any pro tips?

Well dang... I was going to start a mead tomorrow but I have noticed that I'm out of sanitizer.

I've never used bleach and was wondering what ratio I should use to clean my equipment?

Any pro tips?

As a sanitizer, the label on a Chlorox jug suggests 1 tablespoon per gallon.

I wouldn't use bleach on stainless equipment...Bad juju...

Cheers!

As a sanitizer, the label on a Chlorox jug suggests 1 tablespoon per gallon.

I wouldn't use bleach on stainless equipment...Bad juju...

Cheers!

Thanks, I didn't even think to look. :drunk:

I assume it's the same ratio for clothes as it is for utensils.

No stainless equipment.

A mix of 1oz of vinegar to 5 gallons of water, mix well, add 1oz of bleach,mix well again. You now have a no rinse sanitizer.

Search "bleach and vinegar" and you will have your questions and doubts answered.

A mix of 1oz of vinegar to 5 gallons of water, mix well, add 1oz of bleach,mix well again. You now have a no rinse sanitizer.

Search "bleach and vinegar" and you will have your questions and doubts answered.

The first (and only link) I looked at .... chemistry.about.com... y'all go right ahead, I'll stick with starsan :confused:

The second answer to 'why people mix bleach and vinegar' is that people don't know any better or underestimate the risk. They hear mixing the chemicals makes them better cleaners and disinfectants, but don't realize it isn't going to make enough of a difference to justify the considerable health hazard.​

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2011/02/02/why-people-mix-bleach-and-vinegar.htm

passedpawn said:
The first (and only link) I looked at .... chemistry.about.com... y'all go right ahead, I'll stick with starsan :confused:

The second answer to 'why people mix bleach and vinegar' is that people don't know any better or underestimate the risk. They hear mixing the chemicals makes them better cleaners and disinfectants, but don't realize it isn't going to make enough of a difference to justify the considerable health hazard.

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2011/02/02/why-people-mix-bleach-and-vinegar.htm

At the concentration you get after 1 oz of vinegar and bleach, there won't be any risk - the chlorine produced will remain in solution. It is important to do the vinegar first - since having dilute bleach then adding vinegar could allow for the very top of the solution to have a high enough concentration to produce some chlorine gas.

I'd use it if I didn't have starsan.

Back