Using beer yeast in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangebrewer

Reaction score
I purchased some carrot blossom honey the other day. I read about a simple recipe of honey, spring water, dap, fermaid k and wyeast 1056, All cold mixed. Has anyone used 1056 for mead before? or would I be better off going for a mead yeast? And what kind of mead will this produce?

1056 will work just fine, on a lower-gravity mead. I'm thinking about 9 pounds for 5 gallons, or so.

Your recipe looks good, to me.

steve

I meant to reply yesterday...just too :drunk: I guess.

I have a JOAM that I made with US-05 yeast, and it's better than either of the other JOAM's I've done.

I definitely want to hear how this goes for you....I'm thinking a Nottingham will be good too, I intend to have that off the ground in the next few weeks.

I definitely want to hear how this goes for you....I'm thinking a Nottingham will be good too, I intend to have that off the ground in the next few weeks.

Oh Mighty Ali'i, Nottingham works just fine in Mead. I've used it before, and it leaves a bit more residual sugars than 1056 or S-05 do. In a Mead, I really like it!

One of these days, I need to try 1968, and see how it is in a Mead. (But, the $7 a smack-pak, that LHBS charges, is a deterrent.)

steve

I havent made this yet, I plan on it sometime really soon. I'm gonna use the 1056 and see what happens, I'll let you know the results.

I used champagne yeast(can't remember the brand) in the prickly-pear mead I made about a month ago. It should hit 14-16% ABV. Right now its still happily bubbling in the primary. When I rack to the secondary I'm going to add another 1/2 gallon of already boiled freshly frozen PP juice to help define color and give it a slight PP flavor while still keeping it semi-dry. maybe by Christmas I might be able to sample it.

Back