Using Apple wood in Ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter_craig

Reaction score
I know that AB uses 'Beechwood Aging' but is it possible to use Apple wood Chips in Fermentation. Maybe the secondary?
I know they should be boiled for a bit to steralize before introducing into the Wort.

AFAIK, beechwood aging is done to smooth out the beer, not add 'beechwood' flavor too it.

Oak...that's a whole different story.

ab actually uses beechwood chips during active fermentation so that the yeast have something to attach to instead settling in one layer on the bottom of the fermentation vessel. this allows for the beer to have maximum contact with the yeast. it imparts no wood flavors on the beer.

dexter_craig said:
I know that AB uses 'Beechwood Aging' but is it possible to use Apple wood Chips in Fermentation. Maybe the secondary?
I know they should be boiled for a bit to steralize before introducing into the Wort.

I used to steam wood chips.. I now just soak them in little vodka doesnt change the flavor of the wood like boiling would. well unless you threw the water in the fermentor with the chips then it dont matter.

Back