Quantcast

Using Apple wood in Ferment?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dexter_craig

Reaction score
I know that AB uses 'Beechwood Aging' but is it possible to use Apple wood Chips in Fermentation. Maybe the secondary?
I know they should be boiled for a bit to steralize before introducing into the Wort.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Good idea! I like apple wood a lot for smoking grains, but have not fermented with it yet. I bet it would be very nice! Keep us posted if you try it.

malkore

Reaction score
AFAIK, beechwood aging is done to smooth out the beer, not add 'beechwood' flavor too it.

Oak...that's a whole different story.

Surfman

Reaction score
ab actually uses beechwood chips during active fermentation so that the yeast have something to attach to instead settling in one layer on the bottom of the fermentation vessel. this allows for the beer to have maximum contact with the yeast. it imparts no wood flavors on the beer.

springer

Reaction score
dexter_craig said:
I know that AB uses 'Beechwood Aging' but is it possible to use Apple wood Chips in Fermentation. Maybe the secondary?
I know they should be boiled for a bit to steralize before introducing into the Wort.
I used to steam wood chips.. I now just soak them in little vodka doesnt change the flavor of the wood like boiling would. well unless you threw the water in the fermentor with the chips then it dont matter.