Using Antique Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBRent

Reaction score
Howdy!

I've been finding some neat old bottles. They appear to be clean and free from cracks or voids. Is there any reason not to use an antique bottle?

I am planning on brewing a batch of porter or barley wine as Christmas gifts for some close friends and family. It would be even more fun if they were presented in 100 year old bottles.

Thank you,

Brent

Well, if the lips are clean, free of any chips or cracks or other defects, I don't see why you couldn't use them.

I would try capping one with a standard cap first, to make sure they are the same size as today's caps and not a European or some other standard.

Buy some seltzer water or just some plain old Coke. Chill the bottle, chill the Coke. Fill the bottle with Coke and cap it with a standard cap. let it sit for a couple of days and open it. See if the Coke is still carbonated, its a cheap way to detect leaks from ill-fitting caps.

Gedvondur

I have heard that some very old bottles have been known to contain lead, but I don't have any corroborating evidence. Do the bottles have any kind of manufacturing stamp on them? It'd be nice to be able to give a history of where the bottles came from.

Back