Using an old CO2 tank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I found and OOOOLLLLLDDDD CO2 tank at work. I don't know how old, but I'm gonna say over 10 years.

Should I put it out of my mind, or do these tanks general last forever?

Take it and have it inspected by asking if you can trade at a welding supply store. Usually, they will take them since they have no money in them when they trade them to the gas company that actually fills the bottles. I walked in with an old one and they swapped me right out only having to pay $19 for 25# of CO2. It is only $35 for a 150# fill, but I can carry a 25#er. They had no problem that the bottle came from a different state or how old it was. As long as it isn't ancient I think you will get swapped for a newly tested tank. I wouldn't use that old of a tank if you aren't sure about its safety (and I am not a anally oversafe type of guy either), it just isn't worth the destruction that can happen with that big a "bomb". A few people on here say they have no welding supply stores around them so you may have to check fire extinquisher places, but either get the bottle tested or swap it so you don't have that worry.

they last a long time. however, a hydro test is required every 5 yrs. take your tank to a gas distibuter for this they'll probably swap it out and charge for the test.

If it's a steel tank, they last until they fail hydrotest - my 5# tank has hydrotest stamps going back as far as '67, with the most recent being 01/07. The valve was replaced at the last hydrotest, before I bought it. In other words, they last a LONG time if you don't abuse them.

One of the tanks I currently have (I trade each time) had its first hydro in 1975. Maybe even earlier, but that's the oldest stamp I can read on it.

They should do a visual inspection first. If it has pitting, rust, or serious gouge marks, it'll probably be rejected before a hydro. I had a steel tank that wouldn't pass.

Back