Using an immersion chiller without an easy way to use an immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roos

Reaction score
I really want to invest in an immersion chiller but have the following problems:

1. I don't have a sink faucet that I can attach an adapter to on my main level
2. I could attach the chiller to my washing machine water source but that's in my basement and I worry about carrying gallons of hot wort downstairs
3. I can't bring a garden hose into my hose to attach to the chiller

I've seen posts about using a pond pump in a cooler of ice water to attach to the chiller but is that a useful method for the initial temperature drop and to get it down those last tougher 20 degrees?

What should I do?!?

any chance of some other adapter to get a hose on the faucet? Maybe a big enough vinyl hose to stretch over the nozzle?

Do you have a HLT, MLT, or bottling bucket that you could repurpose as a cold water tank and gravity feed cold water through the chiller? not sure how well that would even work, but you could try :)

I put a 5 gallon bucket in the sink and use a small submersible pump. Toward the end of the chill I add ice to the bucket to get those last few degrees.

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't attach a chiller to my faucet and I don't get very cold water anyway. I got an ecoplus pump from amazon which works great. I pump tap water in a bucket through the chiller until I get the wort to 80 degrees or so and then add ice to the bucket to get the rest of the way.

Back