Using an American pale 2row In place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrew427

Reaction score
Looking for advice on substituting an American pale 2row insyead of using a Weyermann pale malt for a Paulaner clone recipe

I was given a 50 lb bag of Root Shoot Genie Pale, so looking to use it but German Hefe’s are my go to brew....

Appreciate your thoughts on what difference, if any, I might expect

Mike

Looking at the respective specs those two malts are so close I'd use them interchangeably.
The Genie will likely be a touch lighter at 2.5L vs the 2.6 - 3.4L Weyermann states, but Paulaner is a light color brew, so perhaps a good thing...

Cheers!

Looking at the respective specs those two malts are so close I'd use them interchangeably.
The Genie will likely be a touch lighter at 2.5L vs the 2.6 - 3.4L Weyermann states, but Paulaner is a light color brew, so perhaps a good thing...

Cheers!
Thanks, day trppr !

So when moving thru different but same “family” of malts, lik3 a pale 2 row, is Lovobond the primary thing you look at...not many other aspects affect the taste?

Thanks again-Cheers

If i was going to choose a substitute a malt for weyermann i would go to a belgian malt like dingemans.

The barley, growing conditions etc, and malting process in itself affects taste. The rest of the stats is mostly for brewhouse effects. Isn't 2-row pretty "bland"? I live in EU so I have never tasted american two row first hand.

The barley, growing conditions etc, and malting process in itself affects taste. The rest of the stats is mostly for brewhouse effects. Isn't 2-row pretty "bland"? I live in EU so I have never tasted american two row first hand.
I think you are probably right, Smellyglove but I am just starting to learn about the differences, so will monitor everyone’s replies and educate myself Cheers

[...]So when moving thru different but same “family” of malts, lik3 a pale 2 row, is Lovobond the primary thing you look at...not many other aspects affect the taste?[...]

For base malts color is high on my list of objective metrics, but I also look at more subjective data - tasting notes - when available.
In your case with the grain already in hand there wasn't much point in suggesting alternatives...

Cheers!

How does the Belgian differ?

It's grown in the most similar region and. Climate to the weyermann malt if not the same. I wouldn't be surprised if belgian maltsters sourced their grain from the same sources as weyermann.

Back