Using air to circulate...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Maker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone given any thought to using air to keep the water moving around in the HLT? I'm considering using an aquarium pump and a copper manifold to distribute air around the perimeter of the HLT to keep things circulating a bit. I think that would be significantly less expensive that purchasing a motor to do it.

Think it will work?

I asked this same question about a month ago and I think the consensus was to give it a try and report back..

I just haven't had the time to finish my Electric HLT. I did work on polishing it however.. :)

If you do it first, please report back.

It might be a bit... We are winding down the last few weeks of a 7 month deployment. I don't even get home until next month, and while brewing is pretty high on my list of things I want to do when I get home, it might be a bit before I get to it.

Right now I'm just trying to work out some details on modifications I want to make when I get home. Thanks though.

Yes, it will work for sure. I've had the same idea when thinking about a HERMS system. I went with a RIMS instead and never had the need to use it in my HLT. This is the principle used to circulate water in an aquarium. You could enchance the circulation even more if you used a lift tube. Essentially, the lift tube is simply a section of pipe with the air pumped into the bottom. The column of water and air bubbles is less dense than the surrounding water causing it to rise. The rising water is discharged at the top as more hot water is drawn into the bottom of the tube. Your manifold design will also work well. I've often wondered why this method is not used. It's so very simple and inexpensive to implement.

That was my thought as well. I have the pump and tubing already. I broke my aquarium when I was taking everything apart and cleaning it before I deployed. Since I've only got about 8 months before I deploy again I'm not going through the trouble of fixing it and setting it back up... Now I have a freed up air pump to add to the HERMS System I'm going to put together when I get home.

Back