Using a Sodastream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20000Barrels

Reaction score
I have a soda stream for making soda.

Could I use it to carbonate beer?

I use bottle right now and this would speed up the process of tasting a chilled home brew.

Thanks

The soda stream works as any other CO2 device.

I would put the beer in the bottle and then carbonate it. Put a chill on it and then have a pint.

During the bottling process what other stages occur other than corn sugar carbonation?

Interesting, why not just try it out and let us know how it turned out. Maybe bottle a some the traditional way and then bottle another group with the soda stream and then compare at different time intervals.

EDIT: Looks like somebody already did.....thanks for the post Revvy

If my experience making homemade ginger ale is any indication, it will foam like crazy. The Sodastream is meant for carbonating water before adding a soda syrup. I tried carbonating some premixed ginger ale, and the mess was not fun to clean.

I thought I remember reading back somewhere than carbonating anything other than water would void the warranty. I'd confirm first.

Seems to me that a corny of water, co2 tank, and regulator would be more useful and probably cheaper in the long run.

I tried it. It makes a huge mess. If you are still inclined to do it I suggest doing it in a sink.

You can only charge liquids that won't foam/bubble like water. That's why you add mix after carbonation

Good luck.

I tried it. It makes a huge mess. If you are still inclined to do it I suggest doing it in a sink.

You can only charge liquids that won't foam/bubble like water. That's why you add mix after carbonation

Good luck.

That what I was afraid of.
Thank you for the feedback.

Hi All,

Important safety point to note here, is that Sodastream can only carbonate water and then you add the flavors or additions.

Taken from their website:
"Can I use a different kind of bottle?

Only SodaStream bottles are recommended for use with your soda maker. Damages caused by, or during the use of, non-SodaStream bottles or carbonators will not be covered by your warranty. SodaStream will not be responsible any damage caused to products made by another company."

If my experience making homemade ginger ale is any indication, it will foam like crazy. The Sodastream is meant for carbonating water before adding a soda syrup. I tried carbonating some premixed ginger ale, and the mess was not fun to clean.

Back