using a pressurized growler for carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB2112

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been bottling all of my beer, but I was wondering if I could use my pressurized growler to carbonate my first gallon so I can drink my brew sooner. It's a one gallon growler pressurized by the little CO2 cartridges with a tap on the top. Pressurized Growler(64OZ, 128OZ, 175OZ) Will this carbonate my brew and would I need to use more than one CO2 cartridge? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

I mean it would work, you would definitely need to have more than one cartridge. Look up a carb chart to figure out how many Vols of carbonation you want for your beer and go from there.

I'm not sure how much quicker you're expecting to drink it? Most carb charts are of the set and forget variety, which I usually guesstimate (at least for my equipment) to be 2 weeks worth of waiting. Natural carbonation is about the same.

You could do the set to 35 at 35 for 3 method, but a couple of concerns that I'd have there for what what you're listing is:

1. Can that growler even handle that level of pressure? Nothing at that link indicates the max pressure, which would make me a little cautious.
2. The cartridges are more for serving vs. carbonating. You can certainly do it, but this exact thing is what led me to just get a dedicated CO2 tank, regulator, etc. (with a growler that had a listed rating of max 45 psi) Less expensive, and certainly less wasteful.

Got it guys thank you for your responses. The gage does go to 30 but it doesn't say anywhere what it's rated for. I don't need an explosion of beer in the refrigerator or anywhere else. And yes it wouldn't make it any quicker to drink so I'll bottle with priming sugar and wait. I need to get better at my brewing schedule. I have enough bottles to do 2 batches now. So I'll buy beer for the next 2 weeks and increase my bottle supply. Thanks again

Back