Using a Kitchen Aid to crush grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo

Reaction score
I've been making wine kits for 9 months now with great results. I plan on buying some grapes this May and making my first "real" batch of wine. I was thinking of using this for crushing my grapes.

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FVSP-Vegetable-Strainer-Grinder/dp/B00004SGFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268869268&sr=8-1

I use this all the time to make tomato sauce. It pushes the pulp and seeds out the end of the tube and allows the juice and some pulp to fill the bowl beneath it. I tried it with some large grapes and the results were good. The seeds themselves were not broken and pushed out whole, along with the skins.

I'm curious if anyone has tried to do this before and if so what were the results. If no one replies I will post some pictures of the process using regular grapes.

-Sumo

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know there was such a thing. I think it would work very well. Infact, I might even get one for myself, since I have a Kitchenaid mixer already. I have a really nice hand crank food mill that I use for processing my tomatoes. I have even used it to try and remove the majority of seeds from raspberries. It actually worked pretty well, and removed well over 50% of the seeds.

Bombo: I've been eying one myself, and it also needs the food grinder attachment, so it's not a cheap addon if you don't have that. However, it's basically a motorized foodmill.

I considered buying one while I was canning durring the apple season, but held off because I felt like I'd be buying it for something I rarely did. Since I'm in to brewing now, I might go for it for winemaking, too.

My roundabout answer is it's good for brewing, but expect it to be pulpy, like from a food mill. Maybe try running what comes out through some cheesecloth or other strainer.

SWMBO just got a stand mixer and she got me the meat grinder combo that included the fruit strainer. I was just wondering if you gues had any results from using the strainer.

Back