Using a keg as a primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

carymon

Reaction score
A source I recently read gave me the idea of using a five gallon keg as a fermentation vessel. Has anyone else tried this? I'm assuming the valve will simply release if pressure builds too high right? I'm tempted to simply leave the valve open as the yeast is more active then I had anticipated. Was this a bad idea? Should the brew be moved to another vessel?

brewmasterpa

Reaction score
the valve will not release on its own. if you read the side of the keg, it says warning, no more than 130psi. understand the ramifications of having fermenting beer exceed 130 psi, and it will. im not sure how to ferment in a keg, but there are people that do. the easiest way that i can think of is just to stick with a bucket or carboy.

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
I've thought about doing this since I have empty cornies right now. I figure it's pretty simple. Remove the dip tube and post from the 'out' side of the keg, remove lid, fill with wort, pitch yeast, replace lid, attach blow-off tube to the post fitting. Haven't needed to try this yet, but I don't see how it wouldn't work.

camiller

Reaction score
BYO had instructions a couple years back to build a spunding valve. You could set the pressure to say 10psi and it would release any pressure greater than that.

Another issue is that under high pressure the yeast might stop working, so you need to keep the pressure reasonable.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Or get a spare lid, drill it for a stopper and insert airlock.
I believe there are stoppers that fit in the pressure relief valve hole.

Also, keep the dip tubes in, they provide a seal.

I have done this a few times, and the main problems I have had are with sealing the keg at low psi so that the airlock actually works. It is ok if it doesn't seal, but I like seeing the bubbles.