Using a Hop Rocket during bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orford

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a hopback, perhaps the Blichman Hop Rocket. When discussing with a fellow homebrewer we got onto the topic of using it like a Randalizer during bottling. The idea being that one could pump fermented, un-carbonated beer from a keg into bottles (this is how I bottle anyway) through the Hop Rocket. My question is whether this would actually add anything to the beer. Thoughts??

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've been wondering the same thing. Ive been considering the transfer from the primary to the bottling bucket via pump through a modified water filter housing stuffed with hops.

Other question would be if the hops would filter out too much of the yeasts so to limit or slow the carb process? I think it would cloud the beer too(no big deal really).

inter5esting idea. How would you assure concistence across the bottling procesw? wouldn't the first bottle get more hops than the last due to depletion of the hop oils?

I don't think it would knock down the yeast count too much, certainly enough to impact bottle conditioning.

Not sure on the delta between the first and last bottle. Would be an interesting experiment (though a bit costly...).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back