Using a 30a range cord and need ideas to install it to an element.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I am using your basic 30a range cord you can buy at Home Depot. I have my elements installed into my kegs but need a way to make a good seal where the wires go into the junction box. The box has 1/2" threaded holes in it and I can fit the wires through the holes by themselves. The problem is I can't fit them in there with any kind fitting. The only idea I have come with is to put them in there and wad a bunch of silicone around them. I don't think I would like the way that would look and I don't know how well it would stay. Any ideas, how have others used these cords?

I bought a large stainless shaker (for sugar, etc.) from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Punched a hole in the bottom and put a ground screw through the side.

I used a nut and a silicone washer on the inside. I did have to apply a bit of teflon tape to get the system to seal up.

Somewhere, there is a mega thread of these posted.

element enclosure.jpg

Oh... I forgot. I used a circle cut from a plastic cutting board to cover the shaker holes. I cut the hole in the stainless shaker lid oversize. Then cut the hole in the just big enough so that the it handles the cord and you can still screw it on.

I read through that post before. I already have the elements installed in the box I just need a way to seal the cord going in. Ill try and post some pics. I have knockout punches so I might put a hole in the back cover plate and try to install something.

Well, I didn't worry about sealing the cord entrance entirely. You could cut a disk of plastic and drill 3 overlapping holes that the cord just fits through.

Which kind of strain relief? I used the two screw all metal type inside my element enclosure but it doesn't seal anything.

What's the name for the snazzy type?

How about trying a PG series waterproof cable gland. Perhaps PG24 might be about the right size. They come with tubular rubber inserts to wrap around the cable. You could try potting the cable inside the rubber tube with silicone sealant, then fixing it inside the gland body. That way you could get strain relief with a waterproof seal and still be able to take the cable out again.

CG-PG.gif

alien said:
How about trying a PG series waterproof cable gland. Perhaps PG24 might be about the right size. They come with tubular rubber inserts to wrap around the cable. You could try potting the cable inside the rubber tube with silicone sealant, then fixing it inside the gland body. That way you could get strain relief with a waterproof seal and still be able to take the cable out again.

That is the strain relief I use. I bought it for a couple bucks at HD. Not 100% waterproof, but if I threw a bucket of water onto it I doubt anything would get in.

With that said, I'm not gonna try!

Yeah I got a strain relief at Home Depot and put it in the cover plate. Now I just need to figure out where the heck I put those little screws that hold the cover plate on.

If you just need scuff protection, you can get a rubber grommet that squeezes into the hole in your metal enclosure to feed cord through. To add a crude strain relief to that setup, you'd want to tie the cord in a knot inside. The compression grips provide both functions at once and that's how I'd recommend doing it.

Back