Using a 1 Gal Mini keg for sharing brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Anyone have experience sharing homebrew in those nice looking 1 gal stainless
mini kegs with the tap and gas post ("faucet spear")?

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Dispensing-Ball-Faucet-Spear/dp/B019IB5TWU/ref=pd_bxgy_79_img_2/185-4824101-0575504?ie=UTF8&refRID=0E6G3DK17BTBXQQY3QNT

They seem like the perfect way to get out of bottling a bunch of beer to
bring to work and share (I keg), but I've heard people say they need too
much supplimental Co2 to dispense, or are of bad quality.

If I'm pressurizing with my 5# tank to serving pressure - it doesn't seem
like the co2 charges would require much use to dispense the whole 1 gallon.
They look well built to me, all stainless.

Anyone have one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done this with 2.5 gallon kegs... it works just fine for dispense. One cartridge should do it for dispensing a 1 gallon. Easy enough to carry around spare cartridges at any rate.

You could look into a Growlerwerks growler, it's basically the same idea but looks much sweeter:

http://www.growlerwerks.com/

I like the idea, but, in my opinion, it doesn't seem worth the price and hassle for just 1 gallon. A couple vacuum insulated growlers could accomplish the same thing. If sharing with 1 or 2 people, a growler is gone fast enough where I don't really see a benefit of dispensing with co2.

Also, I don't see anything about those kegs being insulated, so you'd have to keep it in a fridge or on ice if you're not drinking it right away where as a good vacuum insulated growler can be taken out of the fridge in the morning and still be cold 8 or 12 hours later.

I would see much more benefit to these if they were insulated and could hold 2 or 3 gallons.

I too find the price for a 1 gallon too spendy...
I use a 2½ gallon ball lock and this new CO2 regulator

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=526957

Bobby NJ at brewhardware sells it now!

The cornie & regulator fits perfectly into a 5 Gallom round cooler...

Do you have any issues with precise control of the pressure? I'm curious how accurate those cheap mini regulators are, let alone one that goes from 0-150 psi.

I found one on aliexpress a couple weeks ago that has a 0-30 psi gauge I'm going to try when ever the boat it is on manages to cross the ocean.

Do you have any issues with precise control of the pressure? I'm curious how accurate those cheap mini regulators are, let alone one that goes from 0-150 psi.

I found one on aliexpress a couple weeks ago that has a 0-30 psi gauge I'm going to try when ever the boat it is on manages to cross the ocean.

Personally I set it at 10psi and use it. Keep in mind the beer is at a party or event so it is being kicked in a couple hours. I have not had any issue with regulation, but to be honest I'm really not looking past the requirement for pushing beer for a few hours. and for this it is great

Back