Using 3711 saison yeast. Airlock, blowoff or foil only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I've read various things here where people have used any of the three during primary fermentation. Is there an advantage to using I've over the other. Will saison yeast fermented warm go nuts to where a blow off is needed. I plan on fermenting for two days in the high 60's then taking the carboy upstairs and letting it get as high as it'll go so hopefully low 80's if I'm lucky. That being said is there one device of the three more suited for this fermentation, it's my first time using 3711 and any saison yeast for that matter. Thanks for reading.

Ive always just used an airlock. Any time Ive needed a blowoff, its always gotten more calm within 48hrs and usually wait till then to warm it up. Ive never had one recede, add on airlock and warm it, and then it goes nuts again (if thats what youre asking)

Ive always just used an airlock. Any time Ive needed a blowoff, its always gotten more calm within 48hrs and usually wait till then to warm it up. Ive never had one recede, add on airlock and warm it, and then it goes nuts again (if thats what youre asking)

I guess I was wondering once it heats up into the 70's will it go crazy enough to need a blowoff or can I just stick with the airlock which is what I'll put on to start.

This is not a crazy yeast. It's one of the slower ones actually. You should be okay with an airlock unless your fermenter is super full. After the first few days, the krausen will fall, and then you just need to let it sit for at least 3 weeks to reach final gravity, as it will slowly slowly get there.

After the first few days, the krausen will fall, and then you just need to let it sit for at least 3 weeks to reach final gravity, as it will slowly slowly get there.

And then after that three weeks, it will continue to verrrrry slowly munch and munch away even further, even if you are storing the beer in the middle of a snowbank in Siberia....

I've temp-controlled my 3711 in the mid-to-upper 60s. Haven't tried letting one go warm yet, but yeah, hasn't been bad at all in terms of activity / krausen blowup. Then again, I usually start with a blowoff just because.

And then after that three weeks, it will continue to verrrrry slowly munch and munch away even further, even if you are storing the beer in the middle of a snowbank in Siberia....

I've temp-controlled my 3711 in the mid-to-upper 60s. Haven't tried letting one go warm yet, but yeah, hasn't been bad at all in terms of activity / krausen blowup. Then again, I usually start with a blowoff just because.

I think you might be completely right. Seems to me I let it go for a good 5 weeks last time before bottling. Fortunately I am an extremely lazy brewer so I don't get overcarbonation or gushers very often anymore. (I don't keg)

I likewise prefer to maintain a reasonable temperature for 3711 fermentations. I start in the upper 60s, allow to rise to low 70s (maximum of about 74 F), then just leave it there for a good month. Patience is rewarded with this yeast.

Really? I had no idea this yeast too so long to hit fg. Oh well I was hoping to bottle and drink this within the next 3 weeks. Guess I'll just do another ipa in the meantime.

I was musing about 3711 with a head brewer of a 3711 brewhouse recently. He was saying there's been speculation that 3711 is actually some form of Brett strain, or related to Brett in some way, but without DNA analysis, it's unknown as of yet. Over my head in terms of the sciencey realm of things.

More in the practical realm, he mentioned that it will still eat a couple/few points while it's sitting chilled in their kegs. I've done two saisons with it so far and let them go for a bit / they both finished pretty dry (don't have notes in front of me)...bottled both batches, eventually the caps all domed out and though no gushers or bombs, pretty darned carbed.

I used a blowoff tube when I brewed a Saison with this yeast back in 2014 and from looking back at the recipe thread, my notes show it fermented pretty vigorously for me. Then again I pitched two smack packs of it due to not having the equipment to make a starter.

I threw an airlock on it for now it chilled lower Han I wanted to when pitching at 63 now trying to warm it up.

itll get started just fine at 63 and warm itself up.

I havent had issues with it taking forever to finish, even before I started heating my saisons. Id guess ive used this strain by itself 6 times and in a blend more than 10 and each one of them were bottled around the 3 wk mark

I was musing about 3711 with a head brewer of a 3711 brewhouse recently. He was saying there's been speculation that 3711 is actually some form of Brett strain, or related to Brett in some way, but without DNA analysis, it's unknown as of yet. Over my head in terms of the sciencey realm of things.

More in the practical realm, he mentioned that it will still eat a couple/few points while it's sitting chilled in their kegs. I've done two saisons with it so far and let them go for a bit / they both finished pretty dry (don't have notes in front of me)...bottled both batches, eventually the caps all domed out and though no gushers or bombs, pretty darned carbed.

This yeast hit .997 for me once. Crazy stuff.

I used a blowoff tube when I brewed a Saison with this yeast back in 2014 and from looking back at the recipe thread, my notes show it fermented pretty vigorously for me. Then again I pitched two smack packs of it due to not having the equipment to make a starter.

My experience with 3711 is similar. It's pretty vigorous for the first day or two and then calms right down. I warm it up to 70 or a bit higher after that and leave it for a total of 3 weeks. It probably achieves terminal gravity well before that, but I haven't tested any sooner. All I know is that it's completely done within a 3 week timeframe, at least for me.

I used it this week in a ginger saison. Started at 66ish on Tueday, fermented like crazy on Wednesday at ~68 (with a healthy 4" krausen on 4 gallons) and then simmered down by this morning. I'll crank it up to 70+ when I get home tonight and let that ride for a week +.

Haven't used 3711, but I have used 3724. In a podcast on the Brewing Network about saison, Jamil recommends keeping fermentation at the low end of the yeasts' tolerance for the first couple days. I did that, then after krausen fell I let it free rise to mid 70s for a couple days, and for the last week of primary I used a heating pad and wrapped a towel around the whole thing. After the 2-week primary it was down to 1.009, and after a 2-week secondary I think it was down to 1.007.

Foil if you can get away with it, but only through the most active krausening. How much headspace will you have in the fermenter? If it isn't much, airlock or blowoff tube. If it is hardly any at all, blowoff tube. How often will you be able to check on it over the 2.5 days of krausening? If not that often, blowoff tube. If ever few hours, foil or airlock.

Haven't used 3711, but I have used 3724. In a podcast on the Brewing Network about saison, Jamil recommends keeping fermentation at the low end of the yeasts' tolerance for the first couple days. I did that, then after krausen fell I let it free rise to mid 70s for a couple days, and for the last week of primary I used a heating pad and wrapped a towel around the whole thing. After the 2-week primary it was down to 1.009, and after a 2-week secondary I think it was down to 1.007.

Foil if you can get away with it, but only through the most active krausening. How much headspace will you have in the fermenter? If it isn't much, airlock or blowoff tube. If it is hardly any at all, blowoff tube. How often will you be able to check on it over the 2.5 days of krausening? If not that often, blowoff tube. If ever few hours, foil or airlock.

I have 5.5 gal in a 6.5 gal carboy. Plan on letting it start to get going then while its at its peak say 68-70 deg move it upstairs so it's keeps fermenting hard and heavy to prevent a slow down.

I have 5.5 gal in a 6.5 gal carboy. Plan on letting it start to get going then while its at its peak say 68-70 deg move it upstairs so it's keeps fermenting hard and heavy to prevent a slow down.

You won't need to worry about 3711 stalling out at lower temps. Its not at all finicky.

Back