using 12g CO2 cartridge with standard regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I was looking into some portable CO2 options and came across this little guy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046VLEOK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Has anyone combined this with the paintball tank adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M49QDC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If it would work, the 12g cartridges could be used instead of a full paintball tank in portable setups. I'm not sure how useful it would be but it's another option. I guess it could save some space if you're trying to cram everything into a small cooler. If nothing else, maybe it would serve as a simple backup for the times you're taking homebrew on the road and run out of CO2 at the worst time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 20Oz paint ball tank for everything, carbing and serving. I know others use cartridges for serving.

it would work, as that adapter is a standard paintball tank threading. th eproblem you are going to have is the fact that 12g of CO2 doesnt get you very far. you need 2-3 of em to dispense one corney keg (excluding force carbing).

cheap steel 20oz paintball tanks are only $10-20 each, are refillable for $3-5/fill at any paintball shop or most sporting goods stores, and last 40-50 times longer.

I use a 20Oz paint ball tank for everything, carbing and serving. I know others use cartridges for serving.

How long does your 20oz tank last? I was thinking of going with the paintball tank based setup since it's easier to fill those tanks in my area.

Carbed and served 4 kegs. Refill costs me $3.21 with tax at big sporting goods store

I know this wouldn't be very practical in the long run since you wouldn't be able to serve much from it. I just thought it was a nice middle ground between the small CO2 chargers that you can't regulate and just using paintball tanks.

Back