Uses for Hefe Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I successfully harvested yeast from a 6 pack of SN Kellerweis. This yeast is currently chewing away on a 10 gallon batch of 1.045 OG Dunkelweizen.

I am aware of the weizen styles and this is my primary function for this yeast, but I am wondering if anybody experimented with this yeast and found the results pleasing? Like using it for a porter or an amber or something....

Personally I thought the yeast might work well in a tripel....

I am not sure the bottling yeast in that product would be the same as the primary fermentation yeast.

Hi there,

First post, but hang around a lot. I bottle-cultured some Kellerweiss yeast and it worked really well in a Bavarian Dampfbier (recipe in a recent BYO)--an all barley ale with a weizen yeast (means "steam beer" in German I think).

There are other threads on here for culturing this yeast with some good results. I think it is the primary strain.

I am not sure the bottling yeast in that product would be the same as the primary fermentation yeast.

it is the primary strain, the chico strain is not introduced to kellerweis at any point, nor is it pastuerized.

"Dampfbier"? you have peaked my interest.

permo,

I've attached a little blurb about the, somewhat obscure style, from the byo website.

http://***********/component/resource/article/Indices/11-Beer Styles/534-dampfbier-style-profile

My recipe, which I think I pulled from a write-up in byo was:

O.G. 1.048
F.G. 1.008
SRM 5.37
IBU 14.3

70% German Pils
30% Munich
French Strisselspalt (I really like this hop, I'm weird.)

Single infusion mash at 152 F for 60 min

Bottle conditioned.

My tasting notes tell me it was a little nutty. Malt nose. Orange to light brown straw color. A little bit of hefe yeastiness on the finish.

Unlike the usual for most hefes, this dampfbier seemed to get better with age. Not a lot of age mind you, but ~6 or 7 weeks in the bottle.

I really enjoyed it. The head was a little lacking, so you might want to adjust slightly for that if using this recipe and procedures. If you make it let me know how yours turns out.

permo,

I've attached a little blurb about the, somewhat obscure style, from the byo website.

http://***********/component/resource/article/Indices/11-Beer Styles/534-dampfbier-style-profile

My recipe, which I think I pulled from a write-up in byo was:

O.G. 1.048
F.G. 1.008
SRM 5.37
IBU 14.3

70% German Pils
30% Munich
French Strisselspalt (I really like this hop, I'm weird.)

Single infusion mash at 152 F for 60 min

Bottle conditioned.

My tasting notes tell me it was a little nutty. Malt nose. Orange to light brown straw color. A little bit of hefe yeastiness on the finish.

Unlike the usual for most hefes, this dampfbier seemed to get better with age. Not a lot of age mind you, but ~6 or 7 weeks in the bottle.

I really enjoyed it. The head was a little lacking, so you might want to adjust slightly for that if using this recipe and procedures. If you make it let me know how yours turns out.

Do you think the krausening is necassary to obtain the proper flavor profile?

If I'm honest, I'm not certain. I have used this yeast several times. I have never krausened, and sometimes the profile is spot on with Kellerweiss and sometimes it is slightly (and I do mean very slightly) different.

The Dampfbier, to me, seemed spot on with the yeast flavor profile. I would suspect using it repeatedly would allow it to adapt to conditions absent krausening, but of course, perhaps it would lose the Kellerweiss profile.

A long-winded way of saying I don't know!!

Perhaps you should try it and we'll both know :)

Back