Uses for Dry Hop Canister

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexy53

Reaction score
I recently purchased a stainless steel dry hopping canister. It is listed as something to be utilized for keg brewing. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this would be effective if I use it in my ferm pail. I have a carboy, but the canister would fit in my pail and seems like it would be a useful way to dry hop. Would there be any unwanted tastes or effects of canister being in the batch during ferm in a basic 5 gal pail? if just feel like it would give the effect of the dry hop with much less mess. Thoughts?

Would there be any unwanted tastes or effects of canister being in the batch during ferm in a basic 5 gal pail?

Whether or not to dry hop during fermentation is a personal choice. There are pros and cons vs traditional dry hopping. But if you are asking if the stainless steel cage itself will affect the flavor, then no, it won't.

It may, however, dramatically reduce the actual impact of the hops therein, unless plenty of room is allowed for them to be somewhat loosely bound after swelling...

Cheers!

It may, however, dramatically reduce the actual impact of the hops therein, unless plenty of room is allowed for them to be somewhat loosely bound after swelling...

Cheers!
That's something to consider, the one I use is way bigger than what I would need for that reason, so hops can expand nicely and offer a bigger surface. It works way better than the hop bags I was using before

Thank you all. I just signed up for this group yesterday and have received so much helpful advice already.

Cheers everyone.

Back