Uses for a vegetable/tamale steamer false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Hey brewers,

For most of my brews I use THIS kettle.

I'd like to hear from people with similar kettles who use the included false bottom in one way or another.

Here's what I've come up with:

If you BIAB then leaving that bottom in the kettle makes a great spacer to keep your grain bag from touching the bottom of the kettle and scorching or melting.

If you transfer from kettle to fermenter with an auto- siphon, then the false bottom does good at keeping the end of the siphon from going to far down and sucking up trub and hop gunk. This way you can just put the siphon in the kettle, start the flow, and walk away. (If you use whole hops, just put the bottom into the kettle after your last hop addition and use a spoon to make sure it's in place)

...and then here is what I'm thinking of trying:

I recently installed a ball valve in my kettle below the lip that catches the false bottom. So now I'm thinking about cutting a few large circles of untreated aluminum screen to fit on to the false bottom for added filtration.

The idea is that it will catch all of the hop gunk before it gets to the bottom of the kettle so I can open the valve and hopefully the screen will filter out most of the trub.

This could maybe also work for mashing grains without a bag. I don't plan to try this and if I did I'd be worried about a stuck sparge, but maybe it could work.

So whatta you guys have? Any neat uses for these things? Anything at all, even if it isn't brew related!! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one and did a BIAB a few weeks ago. The brew went really well and had no problems with the pot and bottom. Planning on doing another one as soon as I have time.

What kind of ball valve did you add to your pot? I'm guessing a weldless one. There is enough space for this? Thinking of getting the same pot but larger

Back