Useing fridge guts to make cold chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
Almost 10 years ago I had looked into building a bar and found plans that involved taking the working parts out of a refrigerator and transplanting them to the bar so you could keep your kegs and bottles cold. I am interested in building a small bar again and have an extra fridge that I could tear the guts out if there is an efficient way of making this work.

You could certainly do it, but it's got to be a major PITA. It's probably easier to buy a used chest freezer that fits under the bar.

yeah. Unless you are an experienced AC tech or something, I would stay away from transplanting the insides of a regular fridge.

If you had a solid state (Peltier) fridge, you wouldn't have to worry about breaking any coolant lines etc. The electronics may be more complicated, but that sort of thing can be fixed a lot of times with a soldering iron.

I've seen a build thread around here somewhere where a guy used the guts from a mini fridge to make a ferm chamber so it's definitely possible, but I'll echo the AC tech sentiment. Without that knowledge and tools it'll be near impossible, not just a big PITA.

If you do decide to go ahead and give it a go. Take lots of pictures and report back!

Back