Used Turkey Fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngryPenguin

Reaction score
My parents have a turkey fryer pot that has been used many holidays to make turkeys. It has a sort of turkey/vegetable oil smell inside. It looks clean inside, there isn't anything caked on the walls. I just bought my first beer brew kit this weekend and am anxious to get started.

Would a used turkey fryer pot still be good to use or would it contaminate my wort?

Or should I buy one, and where?

I really want to start this week since we are moving in almost exactly 6 weeks and I would like to at least have the beer in bottles and almost done with conditioning by the time we move. I don't think I can wait 6 more weeks to start.

I'd fill it with water and boil it down, that should take care of any smells inside. Most likely just didn't get adequately cleaned the last time it was used.

Get some PBW and give it a soak overnight. Then rinse and scrub inside and out with Bar Keepers Friend. If it is stainless, then it will clean right up.

I do have a clean stainless ~3 gallon stock pot. A fellow brewer was telling me that when he makes his, he just boils about 3-4 gallons of wort then adds that to 1-2 gallons of water in the fermentation bucket.

Is this an acceptable way of doing the wort?

If so I will just use the smaller stock pot to make a smaller wort and add that to some water when I transfer it to the fermenter.

Thanks,

Most extract brewers do a partial boil and add top off water. In fact, extract recipe are usually written for partial boils. IMO, a three gallon pot is pushing the limit of a partial boil but it can be done. You will have to watch your pot every minute to avoid boil overs but that goes for every pot.

Now, no more excuses, get making beer. Welcome to HBT!

When I first started with partial mashes, I used my parents' turkey fryer. I just scrubbed the hell out of it with soap several times, using very hot water. Had no problems using that for my first two brews.

I've converted a turkey fryer for beer use with success... just clean very very well (PBW is a great suggestion).

Back