Used Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Spyd3r

Reaction score
Is it possible to clean an aluminum used Turkey fryer pot enough to brew in it?

I've read about the oxidation needed to brew in aluminum, but I wasn't sure if the oil would create too much residue to clean out and re-oxidize.

Is it worth trying to find one on Craigslist?

Ridebreck

Reaction score
I used mine this weekend, but it had bee a few years since I last fried in it, so I'm sure that it was nice and oxidized. I made sure to really scrub it out after each time that I cooked with it in the past, so there was no residue. There are some good threads on this site regarding using aluminum brew pots.

Arkador

Reaction score
I am sure with enough elbow grease you can get it clean. Personally, if you are planning on brewing on a turky fryer stand, I would look ingo making a keggle.

OP
OP
Spyd3r

Spyd3r

Reaction score
I want to go all-grain, but my stove doesn't even get hot enough to boil 2 gallons. I just want something capable of doing a full boil.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You will have to clean all of the old baked on grease, and then season the pot, but if you can find a good, used turkey fryer for cheap, I'd go for it. I would think the important thing is to get ALL of the old grease out of there, to prevent any unwanted odors, flavors, or head-killing oils from getting into the beer.

Shoemaker

Reaction score
Absolutely go for it. I bought a turkey fryer off craigslist, used once, great condition for 40 bucks. It had some residue but after giving it a good scrub and boiling hot water in it, its fine now.

OLB

Reaction score
Look around at sporting goods stores. I found a stainless steel turkey fryer for $30 at Sport Authority.

HotbreakHotel

Reaction score
When I converted a turkey fryer to a brewpot I used oxy clean, WD-40 (for the outside), and elbow grease to remove any residual gunkies.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
Go for it. Oxyclean works awesome, just don't let it sit for more than a few hours....Mine cleaned up beautifully...then I just boiled water for about an hour in it and it's nice and oxidized now.

Ridebreck

Reaction score
Look around at sporting goods stores. I found a stainless steel turkey fryer for $30 at Sport Authority.

My local Asian market has 60 quart aluminum pots for $89. If I ever graduate to 10-gallon boils, I know where I'll be heading.