Used Turkey Fryer to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afchad

Reaction score
I have an aluminum turkey fryer setup that has fried a few birds for thanksgiving....yall think a good scrubbing with PBW and then sanitized would be ok?

don't forget to boil a batch of water or two after you clean it, to build up that grey layer if you happen to scrub it off.

I use an old turkey fryer for my strike and sparge water vessel. And when I say used, it was used. Basically I gave it a good scrub with detergent, then after it was cleaned up well, I boiled a couple of batches of water in it, then immediately dumped it, to hopefully release any old oil residue that may have been left. Thing works great now.

You'll be good. I use to use and never had a problem. Eventually got a small pinhole in the bottom from being used so much but made many good brews with it. Once you clean it up real good you'll need to boil water in it. I forget exactly what this does but it has something to do with refinishing the inside so you don't get any off flavors.

I believe you only want to use Stainless Steel pots. I want to believe there is a reason not to us aluminum

And how is this different from a SS pot? Thin metal as well. Like ~ 1mm??

SS and Al both rock. :ban: :mug:

I would think SS is "stronger" than Al sure seems that way when I play with it. I just think it would fail sooner than SS .. seems softer and weaker that's all. Don't take it personal :D

Over thinking IMHO. Either pot, properly cared for will last you a lifetime of brewing. You will not get stress fractures in the pot. You aren't bending it back and forth. Everything is expanding and contracting on it's own. Now, if you let a pot run dry on a burner.. well, that's a different story.

Andy.. go to the sticky.. there is a bit of info on the web about the old wives tales regarding aluminum pots having to do with suitability and toxicity.

One of the main differences is in cleaning. SS is very forgiving. Aluminum pots need to be well rinsed.. and that's it. Don't scrub them with abrasive scrubbies or cleansers.. don't put star san in them.. You WANT to maintain the dark gray oxide inside the pot. It is a protective coating.

Check THIS out.

IIRC SS has a tighter 'grain' or crystal structure (that is whay it doesn't stain). It also is a different metal and does not behave the same way in heat/cool cycling.

That said, I use an aluminum turkey fryer pot and cheap propane burner now. I got it very free (and it was UNUSED!). Eventually I will move up to a SS kettle or make one out of an old keg. Only because I want to go all grain eventually and know that the oxidization layer on AL can hold flavors and cause problems. Pluse I want something flexible that I can mash, sparge, and boil in. I simple AL fryer pot won't do then. But the burner will keep on cooking for me :p

I hate to keep this up.. But, out of curiosity.. HOW do you know that the Al oxide can hold flavors. It is harder and tighter than the aluminum grain. If you want to go SS.. fine.. but, I sure wish folks would keep perpetuating stuff that just aint true. I have both a Blichmann SS megapot and a pair of turkey fryers. Been using the turkey fryers for nearly 20 years and have NOT done anything to baby them. Still turn out nice beer.. and not nary a dent in either of them. Sure, SS has a lot of bling factor.. less upkeep of you lose do something to lose the oxide layer.. but, easy to replace. Just don't do anything to needlessly remove it.

Plunk..

I've treated my fryer like sh##t. Makes great beer. I use my keggle now, but did a lot of years with my fryer pot

nix that idea, I filled it up with water to boil for a cleaning, there are 5 pin holes in the bottom that leak water

HopSong said:
I hate to keep this up.. But, out of curiosity.. HOW do you know that the Al oxide can hold flavors. It is harder and tighter than the aluminum grain.

Having the oxide layer keeps it from giving off flavors. I'm impressed you know the oxide layer is harder. What do you mean "tighter"?

Sorry... Materials engineer.

I didn't clean it all that well after I fried turkey, then it sat on my garage floor...I dunno...but it looks like im either gonna buy a new pot or go partial for my first brew

*Bonks self on head*
I will officially (try) to keep my mouth out of things I know little but anecdotal tales about. Maybe I should keep it full of tasty beer.

Aluminum is relatively porous.. the oxide layer is far less so. I'd guess this is a great reason that auto mfg.'s used oxides to keep aluminum glitz on older cars looking glitzy back in the 60's That glitz has held up very well on those old classics. Color anodizing or clear anodizing.. great stuff.

Having the oxide layer keeps it from giving off flavors. I'm impressed you know the oxide layer is harder. What do you mean "tighter"?

Sorry... Materials engineer.

PBW with aluminum, will oxidize and give it a nasty taste. this is what ive heard and experienced. try not to use a steel scrubber or anything that can oxidize the pot. starsan does this also. i just use dishsoap and then boil a pot then dump to get rid of the stuff or just rinse really well with hot water.

here is the link i read on that

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

Back