used turkey fryer as a brewing pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny_E

Reaction score
questions:

is there any issue(s) reusing a previously used 36 Qt SS turkey fryer for brewing (full boils)?

what will be the best way to clean all oil traces?

I was lucky to find a new one really cheap that had been sitting in a garage for 5 years. They are awesome to brew with. Especially if you have a 2nd pot. I heat my sparge water in a 2nd pot while mashing in the first pot.

To your question, don't use a really harsh detergent because you don't want to leave any chemical traces behind that will find their way into your brew or degrade he healthy layer of oxidation on the pot. Stick to dishwashing detergents and elbow grease. You'll get it clean and leave nothing behind.

JB

Dawn brand dish soap, wash as many times as nescessary. Then when you think it's 100% clean wash it again with Oxiclean

Halbrust said:
Dawn brand dish soap, wash as many times as nescessary. Then when you think it's 100% clean wash it again with Oxiclean

I would do oxy clean then Dawn, but that's just me. That combo will clean it...but so would just Dawn. Regardless, rinsing it thoroughly and boiling water in it afterwards couldn't hurt.

If it's aluminum, I don't think you want to use oxiclean on it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I believe the Oxiclean will remove any layer of oxidation.

Nevermind. You should do an hour-long boil with the kettle full of water to add a layer of oxidation before using it to make beer. Again, if it's aluminum.

JohnnyO said:
If it's aluminum, I don't think you want to use oxiclean on it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I believe the Oxiclean will remove any layer of oxidation.

Nevermind. You should do an hour-long boil with the kettle full of water to add a layer of oxidation before using it to make beer. Again, if it's aluminum.

It's ss. It would be fine either way, though.

Back