used too much roasted grains on imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintandhisbeer

Reaction score
I used about 15% roasted grains on my imperial stout... I'm about to finish boiling. I was wondering if I can make a mini brew (1.5gallon) tomorrow with crystal malt and add that to the fermenter to balance it out

I would probably let it ride. But I like coffee'ish stouts.

When you get time, it would help to see the recipe.
There is not enough information given to know.

I would probably let it ride. But I like coffee'ish stouts.

When you get time, it would help to see the recipe.
There is not enough information given to know.

10lbs Marris otter
5 lbs pale 2 row
2lbs roasted barley
.75 special b
.75 briesse extra special
.75 chocolate malt
1oz armaillo 90min
1oz el derado 60 min
1oz willamonte 5min
Teaspoon of Cinnamon 5min
4oz Maltodextrin 5min

Yeah, that's going a bit strong with the roasted.

But I don't think adding a gallon and a half of dextrins would be in your best interest this early in the game. Aside from fusels and infections, most characters tend to attenuate with time, so perhaps advancing your next brew day while allowing this batch time to take the edge off might be the better way to go. Worst-case you can always back-sweeten with maltodextrin if time doesn't improve the situation enough to pass muster...

Cheers!

I think you are fine. I just put a rough version of your recipe in Beersmith2.

Looks like a good American RIS. This bitterness is probably what is adding to your sense of unsweetened coffee. Only a tad dark... but I've made some pretty close to that.

Screenshot%202014-11-02%2019.52.23.png

Thanks man! I was gonna try and tap this beer mid February. Think that might be enough time?

I think you are fine. I just put a rough version of your recipe in Beersmith2.

Looks like a good American RIS. This bitterness is probably what is adding to your sense of unsweetened coffee. Only a tad dark... but I've made some pretty close to that.

Screenshot%202014-11-02%2019.52.23.png

Awesome!! I will sleep better tonight haha. I plan on adding cherry puree in secondary along with bourbon oak chips. I think that will help mellow it out also

Awesome!! I will sleep better tonight haha. I plan on adding cherry puree in secondary along with bourbon oak chips. I think that will help mellow it out also

Even if they don't mellow it out, they'll at least be a distraction...

Cheers! ;)

[ps: please do all that with near-zero head space in the fermenter....]

That is true lol
R u saying to add enough cherry and chips to the point where I have nearly zero space in the fermenter?

That is true lol
R u saying to add enough cherry and chips to the point where I have nearly zero space in the fermenter?

Yes. Seen too many "Is this infected?" threads resulting from post-fermentation additions in vessels with huge voids above the beer. That can be ok if the head space is thoroughly purged with CO2 after the additions are made, but it's evident from said sad threads that doesn't happen often enough. And it has to be a ***** to lose a batch that late in the game...

Cheers!

I just tapped this beer :) and all I have to say is WOW!! its one of the best ris's I've ever tasted!! Believe me when I tell u this guys... I consider myself to be a pretty good brewer I've made some really good batches and this is prob the one I'm most proud of... I usually just brew Belgian ales but I thought this would be a great beer for the holidays and boy was I right... I don't mean to toot my own horn, just want u guys to give it a go.. and this is coming from a guy who is his own worst critic... I posted the recipe earlier in this thread. In secondary I added 6 lbs of frozen cherries (purred) and a bag of bsg oak chips which I soaked in Bourbon for 10days. I didn't let the chips dry just strained out most of the bourbon and threw them in wet. Most people say u gotta age these kinds of beers for a long time but this one came out great after 7 weeks... the cherry is there but not very much. just enough to play off the other flavors... cheers fellas!!

Back