Used too much Black Patent.. ?? Dump beer ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Threw together a last minute American Stout recipe.. and used .5 lb Black Patent. This is a low-grav, session beer 1.039 OG. I meant to use Roasted Barley.. but stupid me rushed it.

Is it going to be undrinkable?

5 gallon batch

6 lb's 2-row
.5 lb flaked barley
.5 lb black patent
.5 lb chocolate
.5oz. nugget 60 min.
.75 oz. cascade 15min.

Pretty much you are going to be the only person that can answer the question. A half pound of BP in a low gravity beer could be pretty "obvious".

But if it ferments out OK, and is a bit "thick" you might think about cutting it 50/50 when you drink it. Either with a weaker homebrew, or a fizzy over the counter mass produced beer.

Actually I have done this a couple times and it worked out well: half homebrew / half bud light or something like that. Beats a drainpour any day.

I certainly don't think so. It may have a strong burnt characteristic to it but I really like that. Don't throw it out. Worse comes to worse you will know what .5 lb of black patent tastes like.

yeah, i'd say it'll be drinkable.

and if it turns out to be bad, i'd let it sit for a few months and try it again

You could also add sugar during fermentation and some lactose at bottling to balance it out.

Doesn't sound bad to me. It'll be a tasty session stout, or a porter, I bet. I'd give it a month in the fermenter and a couple weeks in the keg. If you don't like it before racking it, You could try blending it with another dark beer to compensate what you don't like. I wouldn't brew the blend beer until I knew what I wanted to fix and how though. So you'd have to taste the beer first.

Reminds me of one of the first porter I brewed. Mistook 4 ounces for 4 lbs. :eek:

The beer was undrinkable, but we drank a lot of it anyway :tank:

I still have most of the keg just sitting there. I think it's almost a year old now. Maybe I should try some again and see what became of it.

I'm going to keg it.. and just leave it for a few months. If it's crap, and I need the keg I'll dump it. My only concern is that there really isn't much alcohol to help mask those flavors. Should be interesting! Probably doesn't help that I made it 35 IBU's with hops ;(

One of the best commerical stouts available (Deschutes Obsidian) uses something like 10% Black Patent in it's malt bill and it is delicious. So now my stout uses around 9% and it is delicious. I think it will be fine

One of the best commerical stouts available (Deschutes Obsidian) uses something like 10% Black Patent in it's malt bill and it is delicious. So now my stout uses around 9% and it is delicious. I think it will be fine

Problem is.. Obsidian is a 6.4% ABV, mine will be <4%

I'm taking one for the team on this one:rockin:

Problem is.. Obsidian is a 6.4% ABV, mine will be <4%

I'm taking one for the team on this one:rockin:

Yes but you used .5lb for 4% ABV. Deschutes is 6.4% but uses (scaled down) something like 1lb 6oz. Just sayin, too many people are afraid of the Patent...

8 oz of black patent and 8 oz of roasted (in 5 gallons) and you have guiness extra.

Not my favorite beer, but far from undrinkable.

Take a look at this one im drinking now ;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bitter-wort-218358/

Yes its not the best taste in the world but it is something that you can like. After 3 these things taste great. No it wont win a 1st place but its not bad in fact im liking them. So no dont pour it our. you just might only be able to drink one or two at a time.

Cheers,
FishH2o

OK, tried a hydro sample after 2 weeks in Primary. Tastes absolutely fine.. if it tastes this decent green.. I'm assuming the finished product will be fine as well.

RDWAHAHB

Tasting notes: Kegged and Carbed.

I actually think I might dump this one. I'll bottle off 12 for kicks, but there is such a metallic taste. At first I wondered if my new beer line might be contributing to it.. so I threw that line on another keg, and the IPA tasted fine.

Back