Used Silicon Sealant for MLT, adverse affects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimSTi

Reaction score
I built my MLT today and had a leak around so I patched it with some 100% silicon sealant. This is the kind I used. What kind of adverse affects could I have with this. I have the caulking around a rubber gasket and then on the part of the nipple that squeezes through the drilled out hole in the mlt. Over all not much sealant is exposed. I realized after applying it that hey, this might not be food grade even though its 100% silicone. So almighty HBT should i scrape it all off or will it be suffice for now. Really really wanna brew my first AG tomorrow!

3245789960_d79e967c7c.jpg

Most 100% silicone caulk isn't. It usually has some anti mildew agents in it. Generally, if it's safe for aquarium use, it's safe for human use as fish are pretty fragile. I have some "aquarium sealer" that I use, but not on things that get hot, not sure if that matters, though.

I used some of the red RTV on my MLT and my second penis is growing in nicely!

Honestly, I dont know of any adverse affects is has/will have on me and my beer. All I know is that stuff can take some serious temps.
-Me

Yah unless someone tells me it'll absolutely ruin my beer or kill me I'm prolly gonna give my first AG a whirl tomorrow with this. Ordered some stainless washers so I can put one on the inside too.

One thing I found out the hard way is that silicone won't stick to polyethylene, which coolers are made of. It'll look like it's stuck on, but it'll peel off if you pull on it.

One thing I found out the hard way is that silicone won't stick to polyethylene, which coolers are made of. It'll look like it's stuck on, but it'll peel off if you pull on it.

I noticed that as well. I tested it again and it held up with no leaks so this will have to work until I get more appropriate parts.

Back