Used Regulator Leaking - No o-ring or washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I just purchased a used keezer and I'm trying to figure out the Regulator. There is no O-ring or Washer between the regulator and the c02 tank. There is a massive leak when I turn it on no matter how tight I have the regulator on the tank. I'm new to this and I'm assuming the o-ring or washer was lost at some point. What exactly do I need?

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

Put one of these on the valve for the tank or get one of these and put it on where the regulator and tank meet. I have the leak stopper item on all my CO2 tanks that I can install it onto. I also get my tanks refilled, so I don't lose it. If you swap your tanks, just be sure to remove it before you do. Might be a good idea to get a few extra of either, just to have on hand.

BTW, most homebrew supply stores (such as your local one) should have either/both of these items...

It needs a fiber washer, not an o ring. Any place that fills co2 will sell it.

It needs a fiber washer, not an o ring. Any place that fills co2 will sell it.

Actually, those plastic o-ring things are great and better than a fiber washer. The fiber washers don't last very long. I have both the plastic flat thing (around a quarter at the LHBS) and the fiber washer and like the plastic thing much better.

Actually, those plastic o-ring things are great and better than a fiber washer. The fiber washers don't last very long. I have both the plastic flat thing (around a quarter at the LHBS) and the fiber washer and like the plastic thing much better.

:mug: good to know! I have some research-grade CO2 tanks at work, whenever we get a new tank from Airgas it comes with a new washer tucked in the CGA fitting. I was under the impression they were meant to be one time use items, once you take the regulator off you're supposed to toss it and replace it. I've reused them a couple times (took the regulator off to move the cylinder) but haven't tried anything beyond that.

The washers made of fiber, rubber, nylon and rubber o ring will all work very well. In a pinch a good thick piece of non corrugated card board will also work just as well.

Just get the plastic washer from the lhbs. It's only 25 cents it will seal it.

Just get the plastic washer from the lhbs. It's only 25 cents it will seal it.

Yeah the regulators I've used have a very similar-looking internal seal and the washers work fine. Probably easier/faster/cheaper to get.

Back