Used montrachet in a IPA my only yeast was not viable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
Hey folks, I had to use a montrachet red star yeast in my IPA. Simply beer IPA from Midwest. There was no possible way to get another yeast packet asap so I pitched the montrachet. Wish me luck. Midwest is sending a new packet.

Any thoughts on how this will come out?

Yeah I know I should have had back up yeast on hand.

Any thoughts about how it will turn out?

I imagine it will be very dry and high ABV. The Montrachet is likely to take the FG far lower than your ale yeast would have.

How will it turn out? You will be the first to know.

What did you do with the original yeast to determine that it was not viable?

Generally, wine yeast is not going to do very well dealing with maltose/maltotriose, so there can easily be residual sweetness that may reach the cloying level.

Also, if one makes the decision to pitch wine yeast, know that they will not coexist with a later pitch of beer yeast, with the latter likely being rapidly murdered.

As I've read it, "Wine Yeast Makes Bad Beer"...

Cheers!

I pitched it and nothing after 72 hours at 65 degrees in the fermentation chamber

I imagine it will be very dry and high ABV. The Montrachet is likely to take the FG far lower than your ale yeast would have.

How will it turn out? You will be the first to know.

What did you do with the original yeast to determine that it was not viable?

As day_trippr said, the montrachet will handle the simple sugars, but not the maltose or maltotrios, so you're gonna end up, most likely, with a sweet IPA. But, I tried to find if Montrachet is killer strain (naturally having yeastacidal properties) and came up blank, leading me to suggest you pitch some beer yeast anyway. Montrachet doesn't really form a krausen, so other than cloudiness, you might not see much activity.

What ale yeast did you pitch? What do you mean by "nothing after 72 hours"? No airlock activity?

Us 05. I have made many home brews

The wort was absurdly still so I took a sample on day 3 it was exactly at the same of I started with

Back