Used keg price check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Hey gang,
First off. When I set up my 2 tap kegorator. I went though Kegconnection for everything. All has been great since then.

Stopped by my LHBS to pick up yeast and other odds and ends. They got a shipment of used ball lock corny kegs 5gal. 39.00. They said they have been pressure checked. The one I snagged still had a little pressure in it.

Price wise a good deal ? I have a spare set of O rings for a ball lock btw. Also is there anything I need to look out for ?

That seems like a fair price. I imagine you could get them cheaper if you were really shopping around but if I needed one and hadnt seen any good deals lately, I would be willing to pay $39 for one if it holds pressure.

BxBrewer said:
Hey gang,
First off. When I set up my 2 tap kegorator. I went though Kegconnection for everything. All has been great since then.

Stopped by my LHBS to pick up yeast and other odds and ends. They got a shipment of used ball lock corny kegs 5gal. 39.00. They said they have been pressure checked. The one I snagged still had a little pressure in it.

Price wise a good deal ? I have a spare set of O rings for a ball lock btw. Also is there anything I need to look out for ?

That is a good price. Where is you LHBS? Do they have any more left?

That is an awesome price, or brew store wants 75 for an uncleared pressure heckled keg. I shopped around for a few weeks and the best I could do was 55 shipped from someone online. I will say that around here just about everyone brews, so brewing related stuff is expensive and goes really fast, even at redo lupus prices.

-chickens

chickens4life said:
That is an awesome price, or brew store wants 75 for an uncleared pressure heckled keg. I shopped around for a few weeks and the best I could do was 55 shipped from someone online. I will say that around here just about everyone brews, so brewing related stuff is expensive and goes really fast, even at redo lupus prices.

-chickens

Its never lupus haven't you ever seen house?

In the Albany area the LHBS wants $69. Found a CO2 shop that gets $50 for pressure checked but not cleaned. Got 4 beautiful cleaned (2 were for spring water) kegs from NY Brew Supply online for $49 each. They ship cheap, but have since raised their price to $57. I'm going back to the CO2 shop next week to get more. The best deal I ever got were the 2 free ones I got from a guy who works for Pepsi. Could probably get a couple more from him. You can't have too many Cornelius kegs!

That is a good price. Where is you LHBS? Do they have any more left?

They do, last i counted about 15 or so. The name is Cornells. Its a Ace hardware store with a brew shop in the basement. Its located in Eastchester. Not the biggest but they have just about what any brewer needs. Very well run for what it is. Its my only drivable LHBS without going over toll bridges.

I broke down the keg i bought and gave it a good hot Oxy soak. Used keg lube on all the seals. Racked in a Cherry blonde and doing just fine.

https://www.cornells.com/departments/the-brewshop-7.html

BxBrewer said:
They do, last i counted about 15 or so. The name is Cornells. Its a Ace hardware store with a brew shop in the basement. Its located in Eastchester. Not the biggest but they have just about what any brewer needs. Very well run for what it is. Its my only drivable LHBS without going over toll bridges.

I broke down the keg i bought and gave it a good hot Oxy soak. Used keg lube on all the seals. Racked in a Cherry blonde and doing just fine.

https://www.cornells.com/departments/the-brewshop-7.html

Thanks! I have heard of that place but never been there. I don't have a kegging setup yet but am thinking this is a great deal. Hopefully soon I will get into kegging and this will come in handy. If not I can always sell it and get my money back.

How banged up are the kegs?

Thanks! I have heard of that place but never been there. I don't have a kegging setup yet but am thinking this is a great deal. Hopefully soon I will get into kegging and this will come in handy. If not I can always sell it and get my money back.

How banged up are the kegs?

There not too bad. Mine is a genuine Cronillius "sp" keg. Mine and the ones i saw there have the normal scuffing but no dents. They only have 2 on the floor but the rest are in the back. If you go there its a help yourself type of deal. You can call on someone if needed. Nothing fancy but well stocked. Even a grain mill that you crush yourself.

It seems that any price around $40 is a good one. Especially if you don't have to factor in shipping. I shipped a keg to Indiana from NY and it cost $17 to get it there. That cost alone makes buying local that much better.

We have some great priced kegs around here but the pickings are usually slim.

Back