Used Guinness bottles for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worxman02

Reaction score
My gf's dad who I am brewing with, aquired a case of 12 oz. Guiness bottles for bottling. I want to know if I wash them out really well is it ok to use them even though they have that widget inside?

make a hook out of a paper clip, give each bottle one hard shake to get the widget lodged in the neck, then fish it out with your hook. You shouldnt have a problem.

Also those labels come off beautifully.

- magno

Don't bother with a hook, you can get them super hot and they 'fall' out relatively easy, or shake it around in the bottle till the long thin part is in the neck of the bottle and pull out with needle nose pliers... They work great...

DeadYetiBrew said:
or shake it around in the bottle till the long thin part is in the neck of the bottle and pull out with needle nose pliers... They work great...

That's what I did too they come right out.

Great guys, thanks! How hot do you get them? Do you just fill the bottles with boiling water? or would the steam of a dishwasher be better?

You don't need to get them hot to pull the widgets out with needle nose pliers.

I should have edited that part out of DeadYeti's quote

I didn't do anything except turn the bottle upside down and grab it with needle nose pliers. It popped right out without having to force it.

abracadabra said:

Yes, needle nosed pliars, room temp. Not rocket science.

Guinness botles are great cuz the lables just peel off without any soaking/scrubbing BS.

abracadabra said:

I did put OR in there... it was a choice of either getting them hot OR pulling them out... I tried both, the pliers work best...

Back