Used Equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraphixRyan

Reaction score
I've seen some pretty good deals on Craigslist for used brewing equipment. Is there any reason not to purchase used equipment?

If it is something you want, and it is in good condition, and it is a good deal - why not?

I don't see any reason why not as long as you're able to inspect it. Anything in particular? If it's a brewpot, for sure. I know a lot of guys get CO2 tanks and kegs on there as well. Probably not a bad idea to look locally for anything where S/H will be high because of the weight.

Like bovineblitz says, plastic goods are tough to sanitize if they get rough treatment and develop any sort of scratches. Other than that I'd say let your bargain hunter side go nuts. Garage sales also offer a cornucopia of miscellaneous items that can be used in your brewing setup.

CL is for sure the way of the walk when possible! Same as the others have said, I would not reuse ANY plastic that would touch the wort/beer unless it was sealed/new or from a trusted source.

CL has netted me:
1 - 1/2 bbl sanke w/ ice barrel and tapper - $40.00
1 - near complete beer kit (ale pale, 6 gallon glass carboy,bung, airlock, wing capper, hydro/thermo meters, and some pretty cool caps. - $20.00
1 - bench capper, wing capper, 2 different corkers and an odd wine bucket? - $10.00

The sanke I will turn into a keggle, the kit I will use the carboy to ferment in and the bucket to hold spent grain or sitting on...whatever and the rest is just a good backup in case something tragic was to happen on brew day. I continue to search CL daily!!! a good deal like that kit I would grab every time as the carboy is near 40.00 itself!

It is alot of work to steadily check but it will pay off, the problem is you never know when or what!

good luck!

Back