Used cornies or new torpedoes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
I am interested in kegging my beer. I've been looking and asking around, trying to find cornies at a cheaper cost than I can get them for on eBay. ($45 and up, usually) My lhbs has them for about $80, and the torpedo kegs are $90. Should I start with new kegs or used kegs? I've already got the kegerator.

It depends. I found some locally about 3 1/2 years ago at $45 ea. Current going rate around here now is $60 - $70 unless you get a really motivated seller.

Try Craigslist. Usually if you include shipping it gets pretty expensive. It is getting really close between used and new these days.

I've been watching CL, and haven't seen any deals yet. There's not much beer brewing stuff there.

Get on the AIH e-mail list. They had a sale a couple weeks ago and I picked up 4 used ball locks for $201 delivered. As mentioned by Zachattack they have new ones for $75.00.
Once the price difference gets to about ten or fifteen dollars I just suck it up and buy new.

If it were me, no contest: I'd get the torpedoes. They're lighter than standard corny kegs, and won't mark stuff up w/ the rubber. And the smaller ones stack.

I have both torpedoes and corny kegs. At the difference in price, no way would I buy anything other than torpedoes.

And FWIW: I recently bought 5 standard corny kegs for $250. So it's not like I cannot be swayed by a deal, just that the difference in price has to be significant in order to not buy torpedoes.

There are 2 different size torpedos available now, so if you do buy new, do a template fit check for your keezer. Pin Locks I can only get three on the floor of mine, but I get 4 for ball locks.

One of my LHBS carries the torpedos for $80. Needless to say, picked up 6 of em. They're actually quite great for just a little more than refurb cornies.

Back