Used CO2 Tank,How do I know if it has been tested?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCap09

Reaction score
I am going to go look at a used co2 tank I found on CL. Is there a way to tell if it has been tested (like a sticker or stamp?) ? I read that they have to be tested every five years on here somewhere and I don't want to have to spend more after I buy it.

The guy selling says he bought it about 10 years ago but hasnt used it much and it sits in storage. He is selling the tank, regulator, and some extras such as tubing, tap, some handles.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

i would buy it, and then just take it to AirGas for an exchange.

I bought a used CO2 tank, brought it to AirGas to exchange it for a full one. Testing the tanks is their problem.

My local place just checks the stamp, then puts it in the correct pile. ones with good dates get refilled, and ones that need to be tested go on a pallet to be sent away and tested.

Call around a few places by you and ask. Tell them you're buying a used tank. Some places won't care, some will.

B

So for 100 bucks you think its a good deal with the regulator (I'm guessin its a double gauge single body)?

i would buy it, and then just take it to AirGas for an exchange.

I bought a used CO2 tank, brought it to AirGas to exchange it for a full one. Testing the tanks is their problem.

+1

So for 100 bucks you think its a good deal with the regulator (I'm guessin its a double gauge single body)?

A good deal............MEH

With a working regulator its a decent deal, grab it they can be tough to find at times

How big is the tank?

I'd say it's a so-so deal at best. Cheaper than new, but you could probably find cheaper if you held out (just my opinion). Some places will charge you around $20 for a new hydro, while others may not care.

It's not a bad deal, and it's definitely cheaper than retail. I also agree that regulators don't show up on CL that often.

You may be able to talk him down if the hydro is out of date. It will show up in a MM DD format (the date that it was stamped).

I bought a 20# off CL yesterday for $60. I suppose if it passes hydro that's a decent deal, and if it doesn't then I'm a dumb@ss.

It holds pressure so hopefully it'll pass.

my company does hydro testing. 99.9% of steel cylinders pass. there have been some problems with aluminum cylinders lately, but most of them still pass. it might be down to 99% pass rate for them.

plus, most of the aluminum ones that fail are due to cracks in the neck, so its the manufactureres fault, and if you contact they they will more than likely replace it with a new cyl.

Mine passed. Got it hydro tested and filled for a total of $32.37 after tax. Sounds fair to me.

Does the testing place just stamp right next to the old stamp? I have acquired 3 different 20# tanks in the last couple weeks. One of them is empty, one filled, one about 3/4 filled. The problem is, I can't seem to figure out which number is the proper testing date. It seems like there are lots of different groups of numbers and some of the numbers/symbols are hard to read.

Anyone got a picture of their stamp?

Back