Use priming sugar or new yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awshucks5

Reaction score
If I crash my Belgian to 32F for a couple of days can I still use priming sugar or should I use fresh yeast during bottling? I am wondering if that cold of a temp will kill my yeasts. Wyesat1214 and WLP575

Why crash to 32°? Crash to a few degrees higher and you would have no worries with the fermentation yeast. Adding fresh yeast is never bad, though, and almost always a safe bet.

I was told to crash at 32. Crashing a bit higher makes sense though. Is it pretty much guaranteed that 32f will kill my yeast!

with the alcohol in the beer, it won't freeze at 32*F so it would be OK to crash to that temp. also, it will take a long time for the entire volume of beer to get down that cold. that's quite a bit of mass to cool.

yes, you still need to use priming sugar. no, you don't need to add additional yeast. you can if you want to, but i've never added additional yeast after a multi-day cold-crash and i've never had a problem carb'ing.

I was planning on using priming sugar, I was wondering if there would be enough active yeast left after cold crashing for two days

I was planning on using priming sugar, I was wondering if there would be enough active yeast left after cold crashing for two days

It's fine. You could hold the beer at 32 degrees for many weeks, and not need to add fresh yeast.

When I make lagers, sometimes I add fresh yeast at bottling, expecially if I've held the beer near freezing for more than 8 weeks.

For less than a month or two at 32 degrees, you have no need to reyeast at all.

Back