use of whole hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
Im putting my order in for my next batch to find out midwest is out of hallertau pellet hops. They do on the other hand have whole hallertau (which I have never used before). The recipe calls for 4% alpha acid pellets, the whole hops are 2%. My question is: should i double the amount used to match the IBU's in the recipe? Im just using the hallertau in the last 15 min. and last 1 min. in the boil.

Thanks
sam

Yes, match your AA levels and whole hops are utilized around 10% less than pellets as well so account for that too.

In my opinion, no. Not if the hops are used as flavor or aroma hops. For bittering, yes, since you want to have the same IBUs. But flavor and aroma hops contribute very little to the bittering of the beer, and an ounce of hops is an ounce of hops.

Another thing that throws a monkey wrench into this is that "whole hops", also known as "leaf hops" are not as "strong" as pelletized hops, so a rule of thumb for leaf hops is to use 10% more anyway. This isn't really important, since 10% of 1/2 ounce, for example, is negligible. I just thought I'd throw this out there, too!

I called them and they are going to have some more in later today or tomorrow. So ill just wait. Thanks so much for your help though.

Back