Use of whirfloc tablets...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
I've never used them and not having a clear product is fine. I drink a lot of hefe's anyway.. :)

Aside from a clarifier, do they contribute anything else?

No, they just work to coagulate proteins so they drop out and help give you a clear beer. I love whirlfloc, and use it in all of my beers when I remember!

Here's an IPA:
DSCF05521.JPG

When used at the recommended dosage they are just a clarifier. Pretty much Irish moss compressed in tablet form.

If used substantially over the recommended rate they can contribute a mossy off flavor.

No, they just work to coagulate proteins so they drop out and help give you a clear beer. I love whirlfloc, and use it in all of my beers when I remember!

Here's an IPA:
DSCF05521.JPG

My next planned brew is an IPA. Like I said, a clear product really has never been an issue but, that IPA looks really nice! ;)

I use it it pretty much all my beers, except wheat beers. I can't remember if I used it in my porters and other "black" beers. But I have definitely noticed a difference in clarity between beers I forgot to use it and those that I did use it. Although with more time in the keg, they all end up clear.

i am new to whirfloc...do i put the tablet in the carboy or in the keg??? i only make extract kits and 5 gallon batches...let me know

Thanks

Back