Use of plastic drinking water carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebux

Reaction score
Can the plastic drinking water carboys( 5 gallon ones ) be used as secondary fermenters and / or for clarifying ??

Had a feeling it might be a controversial issue, the guy at my local brew supply said they leak air, something like that... Figured I would thro it out there before I start buying carboys when I have access to the water bottles.... Call me frugal.... what would I search for those threads you speak of....would luv to get some more info on the subject...

Search for "water bottle" "Culligan bottle" "water jug" "Absopure bottle" "spring water jug" or any other name for a water jug you can think of. Or just scroll through the threads in the beginners forum, you can't miss one, there's at least 2-3 a day.

Ultimately though it's your choice. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with them, though some folks are concered as to which recycling code is on the bottom, especially where BPE is concerned, and others aren't..... And the thing to consider is how long you plan on using it for. I'm lagering for no more than a month, so I'm not worried.

Plastics have different ratings or amounts of oxygen they let in, so in some ways your beer may be slightly oxidized but I have never noticed when using plastic. It is definitely doable and safe, the important thing is to find food grade plastic. Before spending money on expensive carboys buy other useful things that will help improve your beer like a stirplate (or make one) to make starters. This and controlled ferm temps are probably the main things that most homebrewers need to work on to make better beer and are much more noticeable than plastic vs. glass carboys.

I use the plastic water bottles to primary some of my meads like JAOM and also my ciders

Revvy said:
But that's a personal choice, NOT that it can't be done....which is what the OP is asking......

Its sad you feel the need to argue that you are always right. I never said he or anyone couldn't. Simply pointing out there will be many different opinions...and oh my gosh...giving him one. You could dig a hole in the dirt and line it with a tarp for all I care.

Frodo said:
That's actually a hell of an idea, it would help moderate fermentation temp and I could do 15 gallon batches.

Dammit Frodo now I have to dig a hole and try that out thanks for clever idea

that was brewingmeister that had that gem of an idea

#1 and #2 grade are your best bets for fermenting in plastics.

There's a bazillion threads about this....

I just racked a lager into a 5 gallon culligan bottle to lager for a month....

I am having your medal sized for pure, awesome RESTRAINT.

#1 and #2 grade are your best bets for fermenting in plastics.

5 is OK, but I am personally banning plastics since new evils are discovered every year, and since no tests take into account alcohol or fermentation.

And if you ask 10 brewers you will get 15 different answers.

I don't use plastics.

But that's a personal choice, NOT that it can't be done....which is what the OP is asking......

Its sad you feel the need to argue that you are always right. I never said he or anyone couldn't. Simply pointing out there will be many different opinions...and oh my gosh...giving him one. You could dig a hole in the dirt and line it with a tarp for all I care.

Sorry brewingmeister. I took your first response "apparently" the same way revvy did, as suggesting that plastic is NO GOOD.

I use only plastic and have had no problems and have no desire at all to use glass.

To answer the OP. I think, If the recycle codes are ok for food use I would not worry unless doing a brew that required aging for more than a couple of months,

It comes down to you can use whatever you want to use. I have seen and/or heard of people using water jugs (of all various types), glass carboys, stainless vessels(keg and conicals), trash cans, gas cans, win packs, old oil drums, ceramic crocks, buckets, bath tubs, repurposed sinks, plastic liners in various vessels, rain barrels, soda bottles, and others that aren't coming to me right now. I am not saying any of those ways are inherently not good or superior to use for your personal use because it is your personal decision and therefore up to you(something truly special about this hobby). There is not a lot of testing done to these various vessels for our uses which leads to a lot of differing opinions being thrown out. Different strokes for different folks, so use what you are comfortable with using.

brewingmeister said:
You could dig a hole in the dirt and line it with a tarp for all I care.

BYO made an open fermentor made out of slate, how do you feel about that? And that hole idea is great, time to start digging...

How ironic would that be to have started a new trend you would deplore?

BYO made an open fermentor made out of slate,

I was just reading about the most classic open fermenters called Yorkshire Squares used at the Samual Smiths brewery in Tadcaster, England. These are made of flat slate walls, sealed together, with a collecting lid where the excess krausen is contained.

yorkshire-square.jpg

TheBreweryUnderground said:
BYO made an open fermentor made out of slate, how do you feel about that? And that hole idea is great, time to start digging...

Sounds like a great idea. Anchor steam got its name from the steam coming off the open shallow tanks. The tanks are now stainless but they were stone lined to begin with I believe.

5 is OK, but I am personally banning plastics since new evils are discovered every year, and since no tests take into account alcohol or fermentation.

<5>PP (polypropylene) has high tensile strength, making it ideal for use in caps and lids that have to hold tightly on to threaded openings. Because of its high melting point, polypropylene can be hot-filled with products designed to cool in bottles, including ketchup and syrup. It is also used for products that need to be incubated, such as yogurt. Many Cambo, Tupperware and Rubbermaid food storage containers are made from PP. Examples: Bottle caps, take-out food containers, drinking straws

It'll work just not ideal plastic choice for fermentation. Imo.

Back