Use of low color crystal/cara malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to order some normal Fawcett Caramalt (10 to 12 Lovibond) but ordered the pale version ( about 6 Lovibond) by mistake.
Over the years I've ordered about 10 pounds of other low color crystal/caramalt that I haven't really used.
I have Carahell, Carablonde, Pale Caramalt, Carabelge which are all from 5 to 15 Lovibond.

I brew a lot of IPAs and have never needed to use much of these except the normal Caramalt in some British beers.
Do you know some recipes which use a decent amount low color crystal malt?
IPA would be preferred but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

:mug:

OP
S

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Take a look "Donner Pass American Pale Ale" over at the Craft Beer & Brewing web site.
Thanks for the tip, exactly the type of recipe I was looking for.
The crystal malt police would have a field day with that recipe, 28% carahell in a pale ale :oops:

BrewnWKopperKat

Reaction score
The crystal malt police would have a field day with that recipe, 28% carahell in a pale ale
Maybe the "crystal malt police" can "stand down" while the the lead investigators do their investigation thing :).

seriously, it might be a typo.

Although I've done a couple of 25%-ish crystal malt beers. The beer (obviously) comes out sweet; and many people here don't like those type of beers.

eta: I don't have light crystal 'in stock' otherwise I'd queue up a gallon batch of this. Curiousity did nothing more to the cat than kill a couple of hours. :)

Last edited:
OP
S

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Maybe the "crystal malt police" can "stand down" while the the lead investigators do their investigation thing :).

seriously, it might be a typo.

Although I've done a couple of 25%-ish crystal malt beers. The beer (obviously) comes out sweet; and many people here don't like those type of beers.

eta: I don't have light crystal 'in stock' otherwise I'd queue up a gallon batch of this. Curiousity did nothing more to the cat than kill a couple of hours. :)
:)

I'll see what other suggestions I get but I might put it on my to brew list for sometime in the next 6 months.
If it ends up being too sweet I can always pour off a pint, make a hop tea and add it back to the keg.

Miraculix

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, exactly the type of recipe I was looking for.
The crystal malt police would have a field day with that recipe, 28% carahell in a pale ale :oops:
Carahell tastes more like a basemalt than a crystal malt. Big part of it's starches is also still not converted. 30% of the grist is no problem at all.

OP
S

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Carahell tastes more like a basemalt than a crystal malt. Big part of it's starches is also still not converted. 30% of the grist is no problem at all.
Looks like you are right.

Under specifications it says up to 30%

I wonder if I could incorporate it into an NEIPA, just replace 0.5 Kg base malt with it.
People already have different opinions about adding a bit of crystal (mainly Honey Malt) to an NEIPA so maybe this would be a way to get a more subtle flavor in there and help use it up. 🤔

I have Cara hell from both Best Malz and Weyermann I think but these should be interchangeable.
Cara Blond from Castle Malting should also be very similar.

Carabelge I only have a little bit of and have a use for it, also worked well in a Cali Belgique clone as a sub for C-15.

I just need to see what I can do with the Light Fawcett's Caramalt.
Maybe an English golden ale?

Last edited:

Miraculix

Reaction score
Fawcett is probably a different thing, more like a real crystal malt. I wouldn't hesitate throwing it into an IPA at 10% with pale malt making up the rest of the grist. Or a pa. English or American, both should work, also your blond ale idea!