Use of Flaked Grains in Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
I was wondering which flaked grains brewers here used and to what percentage of the grainbill.

I've read comparisons on the effects of adding different flaked grains to the grainbill, and I know the typical reasons for doing so (barley for head retention, oats for mouthfeel, wheat for graininess and rye for bite). I understand homebrewers here do things differently, and I'd like to know what preferences people have.

Personally I use about 4-6% flaked barley in my IPAs and up to 8-10% flaked wheat in saisons, but aside from those allocations I don't have much experience with other flaked adjunct. So what does everyone else here use?

Sounds about right. I'll use 5-10% for reasons of flavor, color, and texture depending on the beer. An exception to that is a CAP where I'll go with 25% corn.

I've never used flaked rice or maize in a beer. The entire concept of wanting a thinner beer seems a little odd to me. I'm sure it might help convert some of my relatives to homebrew lovers, but I can't imagine brewing it for myself.

I use flaked barley in my IPA's to a similar percentage. It works great for head retention. I use flaked oats in stouts and on occasion in a porter, usually under 10% to keep them from getting oily.

Back