use of a 10 gallon glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
A friend gave me a glass 10 gallon carboy and a cover that fits over it to keep out the light,and a stopper. Can I use this as a fermenter for a 5 gallon batch ?
Steve

If its a true 10 gallons you should be able to ferment up to 8 gallon batches easily and 9 gallon lagers.

But is it applicable to do a 5 gallon batch or is the vessel too large? Too much head space?

But is it applicable to do a 5 gallon batch or is the vessel too large? Too much head space?

Still perfectly fine for a primary fermentation. If you are doing any lagering or aging for extended periods then you would want to rack to a smaller vessel. For basic ales the headspace will still be a non issue, plenty of CO2 will be produced to cover the beer.

Thanks. Now I just have to clean real well was previously used for wine making

Right, those big "demijohns" usually end up outside italian wineries. So they require cleaning to remove the "Old World Minerals" or "dirt" heh. Hope you have a basket or tote of some kind to protect from breaking.

Back