Use for left over hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
Brew day this Sunday. I have that recipe all planned out. I also have 1 oz of glacier and 1 oz of Amarillo hops. Wondering if there is a simple dry extract recipe I can throw together and see how it goes. Anyone tried a single malt dry extract with just a couple ozs of hops? Looking for an easy side brew.

Open to thoughts.

Sounds like a simi-smash (Single malt and single hop addition) recipe in the works, but with two hops clearly. Would use one for bitter and the other for aroma / dry hop pending the AA and the flavor you like.

Anyone tried a single malt dry extract with just a couple ozs of hops?

A couple of ounces of hops is plenty for a 5 gallon batch - sure, it won't be an IPA but it's more than enough for some balancing hop character. My most recent brew used 23g of hops for 68litres, which equates to about 7g (1/4oz) for a 5 gallon batch!

I'm not sure how you ensure 'single malt' with extract though - many extracts would be made from more than one malt. That said, a simple beer with DME to get to about 1.050 (about 6lbs, use half at the start of boil, half added towards the end of the boil), the full ounce of glacier at 60 minutes (assuming 5.6%AA to give 21IBU) and the full ounce of Amarillo at 5 minutes, fermented with any clean ale yeast, should be quite drinkable and sessionable.

Didnt really mean single malt. More like, no steep. That's probably how I should have worded it. Just looking for something very simple.

Is there a tested dme that is a solid base?
A couple of ounces of hops is plenty for a 5 gallon batch - sure, it won't be an IPA but it's more than enough for some balancing hop character. My most recent brew used 23g of hops for 68litres, which equates to about 7g (1/4oz) for a 5 gallon batch!

I'm not sure how you ensure 'single malt' with extract though - many extracts would be made from more than one malt. That said, a simple beer with DME to get to about 1.050 (about 6lbs, use half at the start of boil, half added towards the end of the boil), the full ounce of glacier at 60 minutes (assuming 5.6%AA to give 21IBU) and the full ounce of Amarillo at 5 minutes, fermented with any clean ale yeast, should be quite drinkable and sessionable.

There's a no steep, two-hop extract that's in my constant rotation. So not only is it possible, it's delicious. You may want to throw some maltodextrin in there for some body, but not a requirement. To make it even quicker, I only do a half hour boil.

I have 6 pounds of "briess light dry extract". Hope that will work. Any idea how to gauge how much maltodextrin to use if I have some?

I have 6 pounds of "briess light dry extract". Hope that will work. Any idea how to gauge how much maltodextrin to use if I have some?

It's very easy - don't use any maltodextrin!

Briess light, dry extract will work nicely, for a lighter cream/blonde ale style.

Brew day this Sunday. I have that recipe all planned out. I also have 1 oz of glacier and 1 oz of Amarillo hops. Wondering if there is a simple dry extract recipe I can throw together and see how it goes. Anyone tried a single malt dry extract with just a couple ozs of hops? Looking for an easy side brew.

Open to thoughts.
Take a look at Basic Brewing Radio's "Hop Sampler" approach.

Before "SMaSH", recipes for hop sampling often used: 80% brewers malt, 20% Munich or Vienna. With the availability (since late 2015) of Munich DME and Vienna DME, this scales down nicely to "test" batch sizes.
I have 6 pounds of "briess light dry extract".
With "Golden Light" DME, you may get a "darker than expected" color trying to make a blonde ale. "Pilsen Light" will give a lighter color, but it uses a different base malt so the resulting beer may taste different.

Back