use a mixer to dissolve DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
Last batch I made I had a nightmare getting the DME to dissolve. So I busted out the electric mixer/beaters and beat it in. Is there any problem with that (other than the inherent danger of dropping it in and electrocuting myself) :)

I really "beats" the wort up pretty bad, but it was a LOT easier than whisking or stirring forever.

The batch is not ready yet, but it smells fine.

If it's pre-boil I don't see a problem.
You should get most of the air you whip in there boiled out anyway.

Personally I'd take the DME and mix it up separately in a pitcher or something the add the "batter" to the boil when I had to...so I wasn't risking whipping boiling water.

And now that I'm saying this I kind of wish I thought of this when I was doing extracts....

If it's pre-boil I don't see a problem.
You should get most of the air you whip in there boiled out anyway.

Personally I'd take the DME and mix it up separately in a pitcher or something the add the "batter" to the boil when I had to...so I wasn't risking whipping boiling water.

And now that I'm saying this I kind of wish I thought of this when I was doing extracts....

it was during the boil. well actually, as i was bringing it to a boil I added 3.5 lbs. then at 15 mins. i did a late addition of 3.5 pounds...so that late addition i just mixed while boiling. obviously risky, but I didn't get burned and did not drop the mixer.

maybe I'll try mixing in a pitcher next time...it seems safer.

I have been reading about hot side aeration and was wondering if this mixing may contribute to it. the beer tastes fine, but it is not ready yet.

john

I've never had any issues getting DME to dissolve into a rolling boil. I typically go half and half with mine though, at 60 and 15.

You really have that much difficulty mixing it in? Weird.

I think an immersion mixer would work best.
PC635284v1.jpg

You can even use one after the boil to aerate, just sanitize it first.

PC635284v1.jpg

I actually broke out my immersion blender the first time i used DME. I didn't figure a couple things quite right so my pot was extremely full so i couldn't stir it in well. The immersion blender worked GREAT.

I've never had any issues getting DME to dissolve into a rolling boil. I typically go half and half with mine though, at 60 and 15.

really? for whatever reason, my clumps badly when i dump it in. i've tried dumping it slowly, or all at once. i end up with clumps that I have to whisk in.

i have an immersion blender, i'll try that next time.

John

I use a large kitchen whisk for stirring in DME. Works good for me. I stir with the whisk AS I'm pouring in the DME. Don't dump it in and THEN stir.

I also utilize near full-volume batches at at rolling boil, so maybe that helps also.
Pez.

I actually broke out my immersion blender the first time i used DME. I didn't figure a couple things quite right so my pot was extremely full so i couldn't stir it in well. The immersion blender worked GREAT.

No need to sanitize for aeration either if used during the boil.

I once dumped my entire 8 pounds or so of dme my recipe called for in at once, and although it took a lot of stirring it did all mix itself together eventually. It just takes patience.

or whatever reason, my clumps badly when i dump it in. i've tried dumping it slowly, or all at once. i end up with clumps that I have to whisk in.
Add in no more than a pound at a time and whisk (or blend) out the clumps before adding the next pound. It goes much faster than if you dump in your whole amount and try to dissolve all of it at once.

The DME chunks will disolve with heat and time. Don't sweat it as long as you keep them off the bottom of the hot boil pot, they will scortch and give an off flavor.

use either mixer or painter mixer. that's the only way i've ever done it. much faster than spoons or whisk. didn't take but a second to see that. plus it adds air for yeast.
kent

PC635284v1.jpg

made an IPA today. used my immersion blender to mix in the DME (3.5 before boil, 3.5 at 15 minutes. Definitely made it easier. Also used it to aerate the wort before pouring into carboy.

really? for whatever reason, my clumps badly when i dump it in. i've tried dumping it slowly, or all at once. i end up with clumps that I have to whisk in.

Yeah, it does that. So far, I haven't had any issues getting it to break up with a simple spoon or a wisk. You have to stay with it for a minute, but it'll work just fine.

I do like the idea of an immersion blender..... NEW GADGET TIME !!!!:mug:

Back