US-O5 vs. California Ale: Alcohol Tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam095

Reaction score
SafAle US-05 is listed as 9-11% tolerance, where as White Labs lists California Ale as 10-15%. Does anyone know a reason for this?

They are from the same strain, but they are different. And the process for creating and packaging may be a reason. Not a biologist - just speculation.

Also, I think Fermentis is just being conservative.

I used US-05 in a stout that went to 13%.

I brewed a monster stout, and based on how far below 1.130 (the max reading on my hydometer), I figure it’s approximately 1.145-50. I pitched a US-05 yeast cake from a low gravity porter I brewed 2 weeks ago. and this morning got to thinking about the alcohol tolerance of US05.. So not sure where it will give out on me. Assuming it was 1.145, finishing at 1.035 would be 14.4%.. afraid it won’t make it that far. (Brewed yesterday and pitched about 16 hours ago)

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with the WLP 099 Super High Gravity? If so, what style/s?

It's also diastaticus, though, so it may thin your beer out more than you want.

Yeah, this is a concern.. I actually opted to make 1.5 liters of “starter wort” (1.040) and added in to lower the gravity a bit. Then hit it once more with some oxygen. I think I’m going to ride it out. I can blend later if needed

Back