US Goldings Vs. EK Goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So, how much of a difference would I be able to dissern? The reason I ask is that it seems there isn't anywhere for me to find EKG in whole leaf this year, so I figured it might be good just to sub with USG. Your thoughts?

It's the probably same hop (most Goldings in the US derives from EKG), just different growing conditions. It's close, in any case.

I'd like to hear someone with more experience chime in(EDIT: I had not seen your post yet david_42, so I'm not calling you inexperienced:) ), because I recently ran into the same dilemma. I just got the US Goldings because I had seen somewhere that they were a good substitute. I'm not too worried about it because I only used them for bittering though.

I've never done side by side comparisons of the two with same yeasts and grain bills so I can't speak from good experience. But, here is the data from Hopunion. The chemical analysis shows some differences, like you'd expect from any crop grown on different parts of the planet. FWIW:

UK:
Alpha Acids 4 – 5.5% w/w
Beta Acids 2 – 3.5% w/w
Co-Humulone 20 – 25% of alpha acids
Storageability 65 – 80% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20o C
Total Oil 0.6 – 1.0 mls/100 grams
Myrcene 20 – 26% of whole oil
Humulene 42 – 48% of whole oil
Caryophyllene 12 – 16% of whole oil
Farnesene <1% of whole oil

US:
Alpha Acids 4.0 – 5.0% w/w
Beta Acids 2.0 – 3.0% w/w
Co-Humulone 20 – 25% of alpha acids
Storageability 65 – 80% of alpha acids remaining after 6 months at 20oC
Total Oil 0.5 – 1.0 mls/100 grams
Myrcene 20 – 35% of whole oil
Humulene 35 – 45% of whole oil
Caryophyllene 10 – 15% of whole oil
Farnesene <1% of whole oil

In my experience the US (or Yakima) and EK Goldings are very similar; close enough to be "the same". Styrian, not so much - there is a spicy/earthy undertone that I didn't detect in the EK/Yakima Goldings.

I grow my own Goldings (so, I guess they would be US or EK "East Kansas" Goldings :) ) and have subbed in EKG from the LHBS when needed and I didn't notice any difference in the final product.

In my experience the US (or Yakima) and EK Goldings are very similar; close enough to be "the same". Styrian, not so much - there is a spicy/earthy undertone that I didn't detect in the EK/Yakima Goldings.

Styrian Goldings are a Fuggles variant, not descended from Goldings.

Back