Us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
Currently fermenting an Amber Ale with us-05. First time using this yeast.
Pitched the yeast at 62 degrees sat. evening. Have the temp controlled fermentation chamber set min 62 max 64. Fermomator strip
Is reading 58. Their is a nice head of krausen.
Is this too low of a temp for this yeast ?
Should I raise the temp after another couple of days ?
Slainte

What is the ambient temperature in the room with the fermentation chamber? How do you have the temparture probe from the controller positioned? 58 seems low for the middle of summer given the controller is set to 62-64.

Probe is taped to side of Carboy protect be some insulation and tape. Outside temp around 75.
Slainte

Since there's a discrepancy in your temperature readings, one, or both, of your temperature indicators is inaccurate. It's difficult to check the accuracy of your fermometer while you have fermenting beer in it. I would calibrate your controller's temperature probe. Most likely your fermometer is off and needs replacing.

Yea, font trust the fermonator. I did tape another thermometer to side of Carboy to make sure my probe was reading right. It was bang on with the thermometer ( I use this one for brewing soni know its accurate).
Slainte

I've got a wheat beer going now with US-05 that has been at 58*F since Friday and is going strong. Not as vigorous as US-05 in the mid 60's, but still quite active and churning away. I've fermented with US-05 this low before and it turned out nice and crisp with no detectable yeast off-flavors.

Back